This Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is:
- really easy to make
- seriously moist
- mostly naturally sweetened!
As my Gluten-Free Vegan Blueberry Banana Bread recipe has been so popular, I thought it was definitely time to make a chocolate chip version!
This easy gluten-free vegan banana bread recipe is made using one bowl and simple ingredients, and is easily customisable depending on what you have on hand - you can use any type of oil and any type of plant-based milk.
Adding ground almonds to the batter helps to create a moist and fluffy texture, as well as adding extra protein and fibre, which makes it more filling.
This vegan banana bread can also be made using normal wheat flour if you don't need it to be gluten-free.
The recipe for this banana bread batter is completely naturally sweetened relying solely on the natural sweetness of the bananas. To keep it refined sugar free, you can use refined sugar free dark chocolate chips or chunks, or just leave them out completely.
Alternatively, if you prefer a sweeter banana bread, you could add some maple syrup (or any other sweetener) to the batter.
I've left the cinnamon as optional as I wasn't sure how everyone would feel about mixing cinnamon with chocolate, so you can use it depending on whether you want to or not.
For a more indulgent banana bread, you could add some fragrant desiccated coconut or earthy chopped walnuts or pecan nuts.
This chocolate chip banana bread is great for batch-cooking and meal prep as it keeps well for up to a few days and makes a filling breakfast, healthier dessert or an energising snack. I'd recommend reheating it in the toaster!
For more banana recipes, check out my:
- Blueberry Banana Bread
- Banana Overnight Oats
- Blueberry Banana Bread Muffins
- Banana Cake
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Banana Oatmeal
- Gluten-Free Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Bread
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Helpful tools to make this Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread:
glass mixing bowl
one-pound loaf tin
Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 3 medium-sized ripe bananas
- 60 g (¼ cup) coconut oil (or sub olive or vegetable oil)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar* ensure gluten-free if necessary
- Pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 150 g (1 ¼ cup) ground almonds** (almond meal)
- 150 g (1 ¼ cup) gluten-free flour blend (or sub plain flour if not gluten-free)
- 2 heaped teaspoons baking power (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- ¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 120 ml (½ cup) unsweetened almond milk (or sub any other plant-based milk)
- 60 g (⅓ cup) dark chocolate chips*** (ensure vegan/gluten-free if necessary)
- 20 g (⅛ cup) dark chocolate chips*** (ensure vegan/gluten-free if necessary)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Peel the bananas and place in a wide-bottomed bowl, then use a fork to mash until you get a smooth paste
- Place the coconut oil in a separate large bowl and melt over a saucepan of boiling water or in the microwave (skip this step if using any other oil)
- Once melted, add the vinegar to the same bowl along with the salt (and cinnamon if using) and ground almonds
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda
- Add the mashed bananas, and mix well, adding the milk a small amount at a time until you get a loose batter. You may not need to use it all depending on how liquidy your bananas are - you may also need to add a little more milk if your bananas are dry
- Transfer the mixture into a loaf tin lined with greased baking paper - I used a one-pound loaf tin
- Scatter over more chocolate chips to decorate
- Bake in oven for around 45 minutes until risen and golden brown and an inserted skewer comes out clean
- Once out the oven, transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely before cutting
- Keeps covered in the fridge for up to a few days - best reheated in the toaster!
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you purchase any of these products, a small percentage will come to me with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.
Delicious recipe they came out great 🙂
Thank you so much, happy to hear that!
I would love to try this without the oil. Have you any suggestions for subs?
You could leave it out, or use a couple of tablespoons of applesauce!
This sounds good! Can I use this recipe for cupcakes as well?
Thank you so much! And yes!
Hi. I tried this recipe last weekend and it was amazing!! Making it again today.🤗🤗Thanks and keep the recipes coming.👍
Yay thank you so much, so happy to hear you liked it!
Suggestions for a nut-free version?
Ground sunflower seeds or replace the almonds with a fifth of the amount coconut flour. Hope that helps!