This Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread is:
- easy to make
- super moist and chocolatey
- free from added sugar!
This Gluten-Free Vegan Blueberry Banana Bread I posted the other day seems to have been a big hit – lots of you have already made the recipe and seem to be loving it too!
This Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread is a perfect alternative if you fancy some sweet, squishy banana bread, but also happen to be craving something rich and chocolatey.
Not only is this Chocolate Banana Bread perfectly sweet and seriously moreish, but, much like its blueberry-studded counterpart, it’s also completely free from added sugar, as the bananas provide enough sweetness to balance out the bitter cocoa powder. Meaning it’s even healthy enough to justify having for breakfast!
However, if you do fancy something a little on the sweeter side, you could always add a few tablespoons of maple syrup, some dairy-free chocolate chips, or even some dried fruit such as raisins, or chopped dates.
Other delicious add-ins include a handful of chopped walnuts, or a few tablespoons of fragrant desiccated coconut.
I decided to top off this banana bread with a shower of cacao nibs, but you could substitute these with chocolate chips, flaked almonds or coconut flakes.
The recipe below is written to make one large loaf, but if you would prefer to make mini loaves like I did for the photos here, you can divide the mixture between 6 mini loaf tins and bake in an oven preheated to 180 degrees (350 degrees) for around 25 minutes, until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
This Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread keeps well covered in the fridge for up to a few days, and freezes well too.
Unless eaten on the day that it’s been made, I would recommend slicing and warming up in the toaster.
For more vegan chocolate baking recipe, check out my:
- Chocolate Muffins
- Tahini Frosted Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Hazelnut Truffle Cake
- Brooklyn Blackout Chocolate Cake
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Truffle Cake
- Chocolate Orange Cake
- Chocolate Cupcakes
- German Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Mousse Cake
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Helpful tools to make this Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread:
Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread
- 3 medium-sized ripe banans
- 60 g (1/4 cup) coconut oil (or sub olive or vegetable oil)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 150 g (1 1/4 cup) ground almonds* (almond meal)
- 150 g (1 1/4 cup) gluten-free flour blend (or sub plain flour if not gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 heaped teaspoons baking power (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) unsweetened almond milk (or any other plant-based milk)
To decorate (optional):
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Peel the bananas and place in a wide-bottomed bowl, then use a fork to mash until you get a smooth paste
- Place the coconut oil in a separate large bowl and melt over a saucepan of boiling water or in the microwave (skip this step if using any other oil)
- Once melted, add the vinegar to the same bowl along with the salt (and cinnamon if using) and ground almonds
- Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda
- Add the mashed bananas, and mix well, adding the milk a small amount at a time as you may not need to use it all depending on how liquidy your bananas are - you may also need to add a little more milk if your bananas are dry
- Transfer the mixture into a loaf tin lined with greased baking paper (use a one-pound loaf tin)
- Scatter over cacao nibs, if desired
- Bake in oven for around 45 minutes until risen and an inserted skewer comes out clean
- Once out the oven, leave to cool completely before cutting
- Keeps covered in the fridge for up to a few days - best reheated in the toaster!
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you click through and purchase any of the products, a small percentage will come to me, with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.