This Gluten-Free Vegan Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Cake is seriously moist, bright and citrusy, and packed full of jammy blueberries. It’s perfect for dessert, breakfast, brunch or a snack.
Why you’ll love this Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Cake:
- it’s undetectably vegan and gluten-free
- it’s refined sugar free
- it’s seriously moist
- it’s tender
- it’s perfectly tangy
- it’s fresh and fruity
- it’s made in one bowl
- it’s made with simple ingredients
- it’s versatile and can be easily adapted!
SUBSTITUTIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO THIS RECIPE:
- you can use any type of oil: coconut oil, olive oil or vegetable oil
- you can use any type of plant-based yogurt: almond, soy, cashew or coconut yogurt all work well
- if you can’t find plant-based yogurt, you can substitute it with any type of plant-based milk, or use an equivalent amount of blended up silken tofu
- you can use any type of liquid sweetener: maple syrup, agave syrup, brown rice syrup etc
- you can substitute the ground almonds (almond meal/almond flour) with ground walnuts
- for a nut-free version: substitute the ground almonds (almond meal/almond flour) with ground sunflower seeds or use 30g (1/4 cup) coconut flour instead of 150g (1 1/4 cup) ground almonds
- you can use plain flour, wholemeal (whole wheat) flour or spelt flour instead of the gluten-free flour if you’re not gluten-free
- you can use either fresh or frozen blueberries
- if you’re not into blueberries, you can substitute them with strawberries, raspberries, blackberries or cherries.
EQUIPMENT YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE THIS LEMON BLUEBERRY YOGURT CAKE:
- glass mixing bowl – for mixing the cake batter
- measuring jug – for measuring out the plant-based yogurt
- one-pound loaf tin – for baking the cake
- baking paper – for lining the loaf tin
- cooling rack – for leaving the cake to cool down on once out of the oven.
HOW LONG DOES THIS LEMON BLUEBERRY YOGURT CAKE KEEP FOR?
This Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Cake keeps covered in the fridge for up to a few days – it’s best reheated in the toaster! Make sure to leave it to cool completely before packing it away to store as otherwise it will become soggy.
MORE VEGAN BLUEBERRY DESSERT RECIPES:
- Blueberry Cheesecake
- Lemon Blueberry Scones
- Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes
- Blueberry Cake
- Lemon Blueberry Bundt Cake
- Blueberry Pie
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo @rhiansrecipes #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Gluten-Free Vegan Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Cake
- 60 g (1/4 cup) coconut oil (or sub olive or vegetable oil)
- 230 ml (1 cup) unsweetened plant-based yogurt (I used coconut yogurt but you can use any other plant-based milk)
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 8 tablespoons maple syrup (or sub any other sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 150 g (1 1/4 cup) ground almonds (almond meal) *
- 150 g (1 1/4 cup) gluten-free flour blend (or sub plain flour if not gluten-free)
- 2 heaped teaspoons baking powder (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 100 g (1 cup) fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Place the coconut oil in a large bowl and melt over a saucepan of boiling water or in the microwave (skip this step if using any other oil)
- Once melted, add the yogurt to the same bowl along with the lemon juice, lemon zest, maple syrup, vanilla, salt and ground almonds
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda
- Mix well, adding a tiny splash of any plant-based milk if it’s looking too dry
- Add the blueberries and fold in gently, to make sure you don’t crush them
- Transfer the mixture into a loaf tin lined with greased baking paper (I used a one-pound loaf tin)
- Bake in oven for around 45 minutes until risen and golden brown and an inserted skewer comes out clean
- Once out the oven, leave to cool completely before cutting
- Keeps covered in the fridge for up to a few days - best reheated in the toaster
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you click through and purchase any of the products, a small percentage will come to me, with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.