Or maybe I should have called it THE BEST Vegan Hummus Toasted Sandwich.
The combination of sweet and smoky butternut squash, tangy hummus, creamy avocado and crisp, peppery rocket makes this sandwich so delicious you won't even notice the lack of cheese.
And if you don't believe me, the recipe was the winning feature in UK national newspaper The Guardian's Best Toasted Sandwich Recipes competition.
This was especially exciting for me as all the other entries contained dairy products! This is what the journalist Eve O'Sullivan had to say about the recipe:
"The winner this week is admittedly a little left-field in this category, containing no dairy, but it still managed to elicit the same comfort and satisfaction as its super-melty counterparts, and for that reason, all the toasted sandwich fans out there should try it. Rhian Williams’ combination of garlicky hummus, smoky squash, creamy avocado and rocket melds into something warming, rich in texture and well balanced in flavour, with a fraction less of the guilt."
You can read the article here.
This Vegan Hummus Toasted Sandwich is also incredibly quick to make, and the whole thing comes together in less than 20 minutes.
It may take a little longer if you make your own homemade hummus. If you're not into chickpeas, then you could try this Italian Hummus made with white beans - the rosemary in it would really compliment the other flavours in this sandwich, I think!
Looking for more sandwiches? You might like my:
- Vegan Stretchy Melty Grilled Cheese
- Mediterranean Chickpea Tuna Pittas
- Lazy Falafel
- Lazy Samosa Lettuce Cups
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Vegan Hummus Toasted Sandwich (GF)
- 2 slices bread (sourdough or ciabatta work well, but you can use whatever bread you like, and ensure it's gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3-4 thin slices butternut or other squash (pumpkin, sweet potato or courgette would also work well)
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt + pepper , to taste
- 3 tablespoons hummus (store-bought or home-made)
- 1 ripe avocado , thinly sliced
- Handful of rocket (arugula)
- Pop the slices of bread into a toaster
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a frying pan
- Once hot, add the butternut squash, smoked paprika and salt + pepper
- Fry until the squash is soft and golden brown on both sides, which takes around 10 minutes
- Spread the hummus on one of the pieces of toasted bread, top with the squash, slices of avocado and handful of rocket, then sandwich together
- Best enjoyed immediately, but keeps for up to a few hours, so can be used as a packed lunch. I would recommend squeezing some lemon or lime juice over the avocado to keep it looking fresh
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you purchase any of these products, a small percentage will come to me with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.
What a great idea - I love hummus and would love to use it in a toasted sandwich!
Aww amazing!!! I’ve loved following your blog – your amazing recipes (many of which I’ve tried and loved!), beautiful photos and refreshing writing! I’m looking forward to your new cookbook – what an awesome work! Congratulations!