These Lazy Samosa Lettuce Cups are an easier, healthier, lightened up version of traditional samosas but every bit as delicious!
Inspired by this Lazy Falafel, I started thinking about how I could make other yummy savoury dishes easier to make and slightly healthier.
Obviously I'm not going to try to pretend that a lettuce cup has the same texture or taste as a thin, crispy layer of fried pastry.
However, it does serve a similar purpose in that the lettuce cups work to transform a pile of boiled potatoes into a fun, conveniently hand-held snack that you can easily eat in a couple of mouthfuls.
Just like with samosas, you get a lovely combination of pleasantly contrasting textures and flavours: the perfectly spiced, tender potatoes pair beautifully with the fresh, crisp lettuce.
I love using lettuce in place of the fried pastry as it makes the samosas much lighter, meaning you can eat more and feel much better afterwards!
And it means they're inadvertently gluten-free too. You could alternatively use collard greens as a wrap, if you're into that.
An optional (but highly recommended) serving suggestion is to eat these samosa lettuce cups drizzled with an easy, homemade kiwi chutney.
I love this chutney as it doesn't require any cooking, comes together quickly in a blender, and is also refined sugar free.
It's tangy from the kiwi, zingy from the lime, fiery from the ginger and cayenne, aromatic from the coriander, and sweet from the agave - a combination of all the best flavours!
These samosa are great on their own, but would also go work well as a side for dishes like this yellow turmeric rice, or would also pair well with a fruity salad, such as this Thai mango salad, this mango, daikon radish & mint salad or this papaya, mint & lime salad.
If you like these Lazy Samosa Lettuce Cups, you'll love my:
- Lazy Falafel Lettuce Wraps
- Mediterranean Chickpea “Tuna” Pittas
- Vegan "Crispy Duck" Lettuce Wraps
- White Bean Scramble
- Vegan Stretchy Melty Grilled Cheese
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Helpful tools to make these Lazy Samosa Lettuce Cups:
hand-held stick blender
Lazy Samosa Lettuce Cups With Kiwi Chutney (Vegan + GF)
For the samosas:
- 300 g (10oz) potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- Handful of frozen green peas
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 heaped teaspoon curry powder, to taste
- Salt + pepper, to taste
For the kiwi chutney:
- 1 kiwi, peeled
- Handful of fresh coriander (cilantro) (including stalks)
- 1 cm (½ inch) fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup (or sub any other sweetener)
- Juice of ½ lime
- Pinch of cayenne chilli pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 10 lettuce leaves (Cos, butter or Romaine lettuce all work well)
For the samosas:
- Boil potatoes, carrots and peas until soft enough to be pierce with a fork
- Meanwhile, heat up oil in a frying pan and add diced onion once hot
- Fry for about 10 minutes, until soft and slightly caramelised
- Add cumin and curry powder and fry for about a minute, until fragrant
- Drain potatoes, carrots and peas once cooked and add to the frying pan with the onions
- Fry for a couple of minutes until evenly coated in the spices, using your stirring spatula to mush the potatoes slightly
For the kiwi chutney:
- Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor (a hand-held blender works well too) and whizz until smooth
- Taste and adjust seasonings as you wish
- Add a couple of spoonfuls of cooked potato mixture to each lettuce cup
- Serve drizzled with kiwi chutney
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you purchase any of these products, a small percentage will come to me with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.
Haven't had samosas in ages, will have to try these soon!