This Vegan Mushroom Rice is:
- super easy to make
- full of flavour
- makes a great main or side dish!
For this Vegan Mushroom Rice, you can use any type of mushrooms you like. I used Japanese maitake mushrooms, but button mushrooms, chestnut mushrooms, or shiitake mushrooms would also work well.
I used Japanese sushi rice, but you can use any type of white rice you like – a long-grain rice such as Basmati would work equally well.
A lot of the flavour in this Vegan Mushroom Rice comes from the mushrooms obviously, but I also added onion and garlic, a stock cube, and soy sauce (or tamari if gluten-free) for an extra salty, umami taste.
I also added some red and green pepper (you can use either) for colour and extra nutrition, as well as some green peas for extra fibre and protein.
This Vegan Mushroom Rice is so flavoursome and moreish that it might even win over mushroom haters! It makes a complete meal on its own, but also works as a great side dish.
Looking for more flavourful rice recipes? You might like my:
- Portuguese Tomato Rice
- Thai Green Curry Rice
- Vegan Pumpkin Chestnut Risotto
- Yellow Turmeric Rice
- Chickpea Pumpkin Biryani
- Peanut Butter Fried Rice
- Thai Green Curry Rice Soup
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
This Vegan Mushroom Rice is super easy to make, full of flavour and makes a great main or side dish!
- 1 tablespoon oil (coconut, vegetable, rapeseed or olive)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 150 g (2 cups) roughly chopped mushrooms (e.g. button, chestnut, maitake or shiitake mushrooms)
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 150 g (1 cup) frozen green peas
- 1 red or green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 vegetable stock cube (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, to taste (or tamari if gluten-free)
- Black pepper, to taste
- Heat up oil in a large pan and add onion and garlic once hot
- Fry for around 10 minutes until softened
- Add the mushrooms and rice, and fry for for a couple of minutes until rice is translucent
- Add the frozen peas, red or green pepper, stock cube, soy sauce and black pepper, along with 300ml (1 1/4 cups) water, or enough to roughly cover
- Mix well, ensuring that the stock cube has completely dissolved
- Bring to the boil, and keeping a lid over it, cook on a low heat for 15 minutes until all the water is absorbed
- Turn off the heat and leave with the lid on for 5 minutes before serving