This Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff is:
- super easy to make
- comforting and satisfying
- creamy and flavourful!
Once I’d decided to make a Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff recipe, my biggest uncertainty was how to make a creamy sauce. I didn’t want to use vegan sour cream or vegan cream cheese, so I knew I’d need to make something from scratch.
A squeeze of fresh lemon juice adds a little brightness and brings out a slightly tart flavour reminiscent of sour cream, which is traditionally used in stroganoff.
A little soy sauce (or tamari) adds umami flavour, nutritional yeast adds savouriness and mustard adds a little piquancy to offset the richness of the creamy sauce.
You can use whatever mushrooms you like – I used a mixture of chestnut and shiitake mushrooms but anything works!
The same goes for pasta – I used brown rice fusilli but any shapes would be fine.
This Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff is super quick and easy to make, but it’s still filling and healthy. For more easy pasta dishes, check out my:
- Creamy Tomato Sauce Pasta
- Creamy Pesto Pasta
- Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
- Cashew Alfredo Sauce Pasta
- White Bean Mac and Cheese
- Pea Pasta Minestrone Soup
- Creamy Sundried Pesto Pasta
- Sundried Tomato Pesto Pasta Salad
- Creamy Miso Pasta Sauce
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
This Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff is super easy to make, comforting and satisfying and creamy and flavourful!
- 200 g (7oz) pasta (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 tablespoon oil (olive, rapeseed, coconut or vegetable)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 200 g (7oz) mushrooms, sliced (I used a mixture of chestnut and shiitake mushrooms but anything works!)
- 400 ml (1 3/4 cups) unsweetened almond milk (or unsweetened oat milk if nut-free)
- 1 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1/2 teaspoon (Dijon) mustard
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (tamari if gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (or sub apple cider vinegar)
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Cook pasta according to instructions on packet
- Heat up oil in a frying pan and add the onion, garlic and mushrooms once hot
- Fry for around 10 minutes until softened
- Measure out the milk in a measuring jug or container and add the cornflour to the jug
Mix very well, ensuring the cornflour has completely dissolved in the milk
- Add the almond milk and cornflour mixture to the frying pan with the onion etc, keeping on a low heat and stirring regularly to make sure the cornflour doesn’t clump
Add the mustard, soy sauce, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and salt + pepper
Simmer on a low heat for around 10 minutes until sauce is thickened and mushrooms are cooked through
- Add the cooked pasta and stir through
- Sprinkle over chopped parsley to serve, if desired