This Vegan Spanish Chickpea Stew is super easy to make, healthy yet satisfying and packed with veggies! It’s the perfect quick yet nutritious plant-based dinner.
This Vegan Spanish Chickpea Stew was inspired by a chickpea stew I used to make with chorizo. I no longer eat chorizo, but still miss its amazing flavour that makes everything taste amazing! So, I got thinking about how I could create the same flavour in this chickpea stew without the chorizo, and was inspired by the combination of herbs and spices I used in my Vegan Chorizo Hot Dogs.
Why you’ll love this Vegan Spanish Chickpea Stew:
- it tastes smoky, spicy and aromatic
- it’s slightly acidic from the tomatoes
- it’s full of soft, nutty chickpeas
- it’s filling and comforting
- it’s a good source of protein and fibre
- it’s made in one pot
- it’s a great way to use up your vegetables and clean out the fridge
- it tastes great served with rice, quinoa or bread
How to make this Vegan Spanish Chickpea Stew:
- Cook the onion, garlic, carrot and pepper – any other vegetables will work though!
- Add the spices and herbs like earthy cumin, smoky paprika, fragrant oregano and fiery cayenne, and fry for a minute until fragrant.
- Add the chickpeas and tinned tomatoes – I wanted to make more of a soup-like stew so I added quite a bit of water, but if you’d prefer it to be thicker then just add less water.
- Cook for around 15 minutes.
- Add the French (green) beans at the end because you don’t want to overcook them.
How long does this Spanish Chickpea Stew keep for?
This Vegan Spanish Chickpea Stew is perfect for batch cooking as it keeps well covered in the fridge for up to a few days. It’s easy to reheat and freezes well too.
More similar recipes:
- Chickpea Eggplant Tagine
- Sweet Potato Peanut Soup
- Chickpea Korma Curry
- Tofu Satay Curry
- 23 Vegan Chickpea Recipes
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo @rhiansrecipes #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Vegan Spanish Chickpea Stew (GF)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or vegetable, rapeseed or coconut oil)
- 1 onion , diced
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 carrot , peeled and diced
- 1 green pepper, cored and sliced (or red pepper)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch cayenne chilli pepper , to taste
- 400 g (14 oz) tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 vegetable stock cube (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- 230 ml (1 cup) tinned tomatoes
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- 200 g (7 oz) French (green) beans, trimmed and roughly chopped
To serve (optional):
- Cooked brown or white rice, quinoa or bread
- Heat up the oil in a large saucepan
- Once hot, add the onion and garlic, and fry for around 10 minutes until soft
- Add the carrot, green pepper, cumin, paprika, oregano and cayenne, and fry for a minute until fragrant
- Add the chickpeas, stock cube, tinned tomatoes and salt + pepper, along with 350ml (1 1/2 cups) water (or enough to roughly cover)*
- Bring to the boil and simmer on a low heat for around 15 minutes, until vegetables are cooked
- Then add the French beans and cook for a further few minutes, until cooked but still retaining some bite (best not to overcook them!)
- Serve alongside cooked rice, quinoa or bread
- Leftovers are delicious reheated and freeze well
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you click through and purchase any of the products, a small percentage will come to me, with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.