This Vegan Spanish Chickpea Stew is:
- super easy to make
- healthy yet satisfying
- packed with veggies!
This Vegan Spanish Chickpea Stew was inspired by a chickpea stew I used to make with chorizo. I no longer eat chorizo, but still miss its smoky, spicy, aromatic flavour that makes everything taste amazing!
So, I got thinking about how I could create the same flavour in this chickpea stew without the chorizo, and was inspired by the combination of herbs and spices I used in my Vegan Chorizo Hot Dogs.
So, this Vegan Spanish Chickpea Stew is flavoured with:
- sweet onions
- aromatic garlic
- smoky paprika
- earthy cumin
- fragrant oregano
- fiery cayenne
All of these flavours are enhanced by the acidity of the tomatoes, and soak beautifully into the soft, nutty chickpeas.
You can add whatever vegetables you like. I went for carrots, peppers and French (green) beans, but anything will work – it’s a good way to clean out the fridge!
I wanted to make more of a soup-like stew so I added quite a bit of water, but if you’d prefer it to be thinner then just add less water.
This Vegan Spanish Chickpea Stew is perfect for batch cooking as it’s easy to reheat to and freezes well too. It’s great served with rice, quinoa or bread, or even just eaten by itself!
For more similar recipes, check out my:
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Helpful tools to make this Vegan Spanish Chickpea Stew:
This Vegan Spanish Chickpea Stew is super easy to make, healthy yet satisfying, and packed with veggies!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or vegetable, rapeseed or coconut oil)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 green pepper, cored and sliced (or red pepper)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch cayenne chilli pepper, to taste
- 400 g (14oz) tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 vegetable stock cube (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- 230 ml (1 cup) tinned tomatoes
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- 200 g (7oz) French (green) beans, trimmed and roughly chopped
- Cooked brown or white rice or quinoa
- Heat up the oil in a large saucepan
- Once hot, add the onion and garlic, and fry for around 10 minutes until soft
Add the carrot, green pepper, cumin, paprika, oregano and cayenne, and fry for a minute until fragrant
Add the chickpeas, stock cube, tinned tomatoes and salt + pepper, along with 350ml (1 1/2 cups) water (or enough to roughly cover)*
Bring to the boil and simmer on a low heat for around 15 minutes, until vegetables are cooked
- Then add the French beans and cook for a further few minutes, until cooked but still retaining some bite (best not to overcook them!)
- Serve alongside cooked rice, quinoa or bread
- Leftovers are delicious reheated and freeze well
*I wanted to make more of a soup-like stew so I added quite a bit of water, but if you'd prefer it to be thinner then just add less water.
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you click through and purchase any of the products, a small percentage will come to me, with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.