This Sweet Potato Peanut Soup is the best thing for a cold winter's day! It's warming and comforting, spicy and flavourful and super nourishing!
There's no better antidote to a miserable January day than a huge bowl of soup. This Sweet Potato Peanut Soup was inspired by my Chickpea Sweet Potato Peanut Curry and it's equally flavoursome, hearty and healthy.
This soup is also really easy to make, as all you need to do is throw the ingredients in a pot and let it bubble away. Then when you're ready to eat you can just blend it all up!
I like to add a tin of white beans (cannellini, haricot or butter beans work) for extra protein and fibre. They also create a seriously creamy texture and make the soup much more filling too.
This soup is really easy to make a big batch of to store in the freezer in individual portions. If you have a way of heating up soup at work it also makes a delicious and healthy packed lunch!
For more healthy vegan soups, check out my:
- Pumpkin Curry Soup
- Creamy Pumpkin Gnocchi Soup
- Thai Green Curry Rice Soup
- Pea Pasta Minestrone Soup
- Pea Zucchini Mint Soup
- Miso Pumpkin Soup
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Helpful tools to make this Sweet Potato Peanut Soup:
Sweet Potato Peanut Soup (Vegan + GF)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or vegetable or rapeseed oil)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 cm (½ inch) ginger, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch cayenne chilli pepper, to taste
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 400 g (14oz) tin of white beans, drained and rinsed (cannellini, haricot or butter beans)
- 1 vegetable stock cube (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- Handful of fresh coriander (cilantro), roughly chopped
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- 200 ml (⅘ cup) tinned tomatoes
- 1 heaped tablespoon smooth peanut butter
To serve (optional):
- Roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- Fresh coriander (cilantro), roughly chopped
- Heat up the oil in a large saucepan and add the onion, ginger and garlic once hot
- Fry for around 10 minutes until softened
- Add paprika, cumin, chilli and fry for a minute until fragrant
- Add the sweet potatoes, white beans, stock cube, coriander and salt + pepper, with enough water to roughly cover
- Bring to the boil and simmer on a low heat for around 10 minutes, until the sweet potato has softened
- Add the tinned tomatoes and peanut butter and cook for a further 15 minutes
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender (or use a hand-held stick blender) to whizz until completely smooth - add more water to thin out if necessary
- Taste and add more salt if necessary
- Serve into bowls and scatter over roasted peanuts and coriander, if desired
- Leftovers keep covered in the fridge for up to a few days and also freeze well
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you purchase any of these products, a small percentage will come to me with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.