This Vegan Matcha Sweet Potato Ice Cream can easily be made in a blender, requires just 4 ingredients, and is super healthy.
I love using frozen sweet potatoes to make ice cream as their naturally creamy texture and high sugar content means you can make the most delicious undetectably vegan ice cream.You’ll still be able to enjoy it without any dietary requirements, though.
The biggest attraction for me is how ridiculously easy it is to make – all you need to do is cook your sweet potato, freeze it and blend with matcha powder, a few tablespoons of yogurt and sweetener of choice.
And you can forget about the ice cream maker. You only need a hand-held stick blender for this, or a food processor or smoothie maker – essentially any blending device of your choice!
Matcha adds an earthy flavour, beautiful colour and lots of health benefits. Matcha is used in loads of types of sweet treats in Japan, and it’s one of my favourite ice cream flavours. You can buy matcha from local health stores, Asian supermarkets, and online.
This Vegan Matcha Sweet Potato Ice Cream is great either in a cone or bowl – it would also go really well with sweet red bean paste, this Purple Sweet Potato Mochi or would also be perfect for this Anmitsu!
Love hiding sweet potatoes in your desserts? Check out my:
If you’re looking for more vegan ice cream recipes, you might like my:
- Healthy Snickers Ice Cream Bites
- Chocolate Sweet Potato Ice Cream
- Purple Sweet Potato Ice Cream
- Sesame Sweet Potato Ice Cream
- Peanut Butter Sweet Potato Ice Cream
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love to hear how you get on! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! I’d really love to hear any feedback – thank you!
- 1 medium-sized sweet potato (about 200g/7oz)
- 3 tablespoons coconut yogurt (or sub any kind of milk)
- 1 teaspoon matcha green tea powder, to taste
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, to taste (or sub any other sweetener)
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into small pieces
- Boil or steam for about 15 minutes, or until soft enough to pierce with a fork, and drain
- Mash the sweet potatoes with a fork
- Once cooled, transfer the mash into a freezer-friendly container and place in freezer until completely frozen
- Place the frozen mash into your blending device of choice along with the coconut yogurt, matcha powder and maple syrup
- Blend until it forms a thick ice-cream-like texture – you will probably have to mix it around a few times during this process to make sure it’s all evenly blended
- Serve in a cone or cup!
Thanks for reading! If you’d like to receive a FREE COPY of my ebook of the 10 most popular recipes on my blog, you can sign up here.