You probably know by now that I love using sweet potatoes in desserts. I especially love experimenting with frozen sweet potatoes to make things like this Chocolate Sweet Potato Ice Cream! This Vegan Chocolate Sweet Potato Milkshake is another variation.
It's rich and indulgent, thick and creamy, perfectly sweet and incredibly satisfying: everything you'd want from a milkshake, right? Oh and did I mention, it's also naturally sweetened, requires just 3 ingredients, and is perfect for breakfast?
It's great for breakfast because the sweet potatoes will charge you with lots of sustainable energy to keep you fuller for longer and it's really quick and easy to make.
Just cook some sweet potatoes at the weekend, keep them in your freezer in individual portions, then get them out in the morning and you're only one blend away from a delicious and healthy breakfast! And if you need some coffee to get you going in the morning, why not add a shot of espresso or a couple of teaspoons of instant coffee?
Because of their naturally creamy texture and high sugar content, sweet potatoes make a great alternative to frozen bananas for healthy milkshakes. And because of their less distinctive taste (you honestly can’t taste the sweet potatoes at all once you add the chocolate), you can use them as a basis for different flavours.
I like to add a teaspoon of peanut butter to this to make it extra yummy, but feel free to leave this out, or substitute with another nut butter.
The sweet potato is already quite sweet so I don't really think the milkshake needs much additional sweetener if any at all, but feel free to add as much or as little as you wish!
Looking for more healthy frozen treats? You may like my:
- Healthy Snickers Ice Cream Bites
- Chocolate Sweet Potato Ice Cream
- Matcha Sweet Potato Ice Cream
- Peanut Butter Sweet Potato Ice Cream
- Purple Sweet Potato Ice Cream
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Helpful tools to make this Vegan Chocolate Sweet Potato Milkshake:
Vegan Chocolate Sweet Potato Milkshake
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into small pieces
- Boil or steam for about 15 minutes, or until soft enough to pierce with a fork and drain
- Mash the sweet potatoes with a fork
- Once cooled, transfer the mash into a freezer-friendly container and place in freezer until completely frozen
- Place the frozen mash into your blending device of choice along with the milk and the cocoa (and peanut butter and maple syrup if you wish)
- Blend until completely smooth – you will probably have to mix it around a few times during this process to make sure it’s all evenly blended
- Serve up and enjoy immediately
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you purchase any of these products, a small percentage will come to me with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.