Purple Sweet Potato Milkshake might sound pretty strange, but this is probably my favourite recipe I’ve created yet! It was born as a fusion between my Purple Sweet Potato Ice Cream and the Chocolate Sweet Potato Milkshake I posted about the other day, and is cheery enough to brighten even the dreariest of days.
This milkshake is so quick and easy to make, requiring just 2 ingredients. And it’s also vegan, gluten-free, free from refined sugar and paleo-friendly!
It’s also perfect for breakfast because the sweet potatoes will charge you with lots of sustainable energy to keep you fuller for longer. Just cook some sweet potatoes at the weekend, keep them in your freezer in individual portions, then take them out in the morning and you’re only one blend away from a delicious and healthy start to the day!
Purple sweet potatoes, or murasaki imo as they’re called in Japanese, are often used in Japanese desserts and their taste lends itself to sweet things much better than regular sweet potatoes, as they’re much sweeter and their aroma is almost perfume-like.
If you live in the UK, Waitrose have recently started selling purple sweet potatoes so you’ll be able to get hold of them easily!
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love for you to take a photo and tag it #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! It would really make my day to see what you come up with!
- 1 purple sweet potato
- 400ml milk, any kind (I used unsweetened almond)
- Optional: maple syrup/agave syrup, to taste
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into small pieces
- Boil or steam for about 15 minutes, or until soft enough to pierce with a fork
- Drain and mash the sweet potatoes with a fork
- Once cooled, transfer the mash into a freezer-friendly container and place in freezer until completely frozen
- Place the frozen mash into your blending device of choice along with the milk (and sweetener if you wish)
- Blend until completely smooth – you will probably have to mix it around a few times during this process to make sure it’s all evenly blended
- Serve up and enjoy immediately