Purple Sweet Potato Milkshake might sound pretty strange, but it’s one of my favourite drinks. It was born as a fusion between my Purple Sweet Potato Ice Cream and the Chocolate Sweet Potato Milkshake I posted about the other day, and is cheery enough to brighten even the dreariest of days.
Purple sweet potatoes, or murasaki imo as they’re called in Japanese, are often used in Japanese desserts and their taste lends itself to sweet things much better than regular sweet potatoes, as they’re much sweeter and their aroma is almost perfume-like.
This Purple Sweet Potato Milkshake is so quick and easy to make, requiring just 2 ingredients. And it’s also vegan, gluten-free, free from refined sugar and paleo-friendly!
This Purple Sweet Potato Milkshake can be enjoyed as a healthy dessert, filling snack or even breakfast. It’s great for breakfast because the sweet potatoes will charge you with lots of sustainable energy to keep you fuller for longer.
All you need to do is cook some sweet potatoes at the weekend, keep them in your freezer in individual portions, then take them out in the morning and you’re only one blend away from a delicious and healthy start to the day!
If you love purple sweet potatoes as much as I do, you might like my:
- Purple Sweet Potato Smoothie Bowl
- Purple Sweet Potato Ice Cream
- Purple Sweet Potato Mochi
- Purple Sweet Potato Cheesecakes
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Helpful tools to make this Purple Sweet Potato Milkshake:
Purple Sweet Potato Milkshake (Vegan + GF)
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into small pieces
- Boil or steam for about 15 minutes, or until soft enough to pierce with a fork
- Drain and mash the sweet potatoes with a fork
- Once cooled, transfer the mash into a freezer-friendly container and place in freezer until completely frozen
- Place the frozen mash into your blending device of choice along with the milk (and sweetener if you wish)
- Blend until completely smooth – you will probably have to mix it around a few times during this process to make sure it’s all evenly blended
- Serve up and enjoy immediately
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you click through and purchase any of the products, a small percentage will come to me, with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.