Vividly colourful yet comfortingly cosy, this Roasted Red Pepper Sauce Gnocchi is the perfect way to mark the transition from summer to autumn!
I came up with this dish because I was trying to find a way to use up the leftover roasted red pepper sauce I had when I made this Butternut Squash Quinoa Bowl.
I actually adapted this roasted red pepper sauce from the wonderful Pinch of Yum’s recipe. I made her recipe for Mediterranean Quinoa Bowls with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce, and just couldn’t get enough of that sauce!
This sauce strikes a perfect balance between lots of different flavours: it’s naturally sweet from the roasted red peppers, nutty from the almonds, herby from the oregano and basil, slightly tart from the lemon juice and has a bit of a kick from the cayenne pepper!
I thought this sauce would go really well with some carbs, so I tried it with pasta first, and then with gnocchi. It was pretty nice with pasta, but even better with gnocchi – the balance of the soft-chewy carby-ness of the gnocchi soaking up all the lovely flavours of the sauce was just spot on!
This Roasted Red Pepper Sauce Gnocchi is vegan and can easily be made gluten-free too – you can either make you own homemade gluten-free gnocchi or use your favourite shop-bought gluten-free gnocchi or pasta. I like to top it with fresh basil and black kalamata olives, and serve it with a side salad.
This is such a quick and easy meal to throw together, making it the perfect satisfying yet relatively healthy weeknight meal. Just boil some gnocchi and whip up the roasted red pepper sauce. Then stir in the sauce and it’s ready to eat! If you want to save even more time, you could use roasted red peppers from a jar rather than roasting your own.
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love for you to take a photo and tag it #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! It would really make my day to see what you come up with!
- 2 portions gnocchi (either store-bought or home-made, ensure gluten-free if necessary) - or sub your favourite pasta
- 1 sweet red pepper, de-seeded and cut into cubes
- Handful of almonds
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Handful fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove of garlic
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- Pinch of cayenne chilli pepper, to taste
- Fresh basil
- Black kalamata olives
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Place the red pepper on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and bake in oven for 20-30 minutes until soft and slightly charred
- Cook gnocchi according to instructions on packet/recipe and drain when ready
- Make the roasted red pepper sauce by adding the roasted red peppers and all other ingredients for the sauce to a blender - blend until mostly smooth but leave it slightly chunky for texture
- Stir the sauce into the cooked gnocchi
- Top with fresh basil and olives if desired
- To save time, you can use roasted red peppers from a jar instead