This Miso Brown Rice Soup is warming, comforting and filling, whilst also being 100% healthy and super easy to make!
This dish was inspired by my favourite noodle soup recipe, with brown rice being the carb of choice here instead of rice noodles. You can use white rice of course, but I find that the slightly chewier texture and nutty flavour of brown rice is perfect for this soup!
The highlight of this dish is the broth – just like with any good noodle soup, it’s packed full of umami flavour, thanks to the miso, sesame oil and sesame seeds.
Leeks, Chinese cabbage and shiitake mushrooms are added for flavour and their contrasting textures, whilst pea shoots make a lovely fresh garnish and make everything look beautiful. Tofu helps bulk out the soup, as well as adding protein, and it really soaks up all the lovely flavours of the broth. If you’re not vegan, cracking in an egg at the end and poaching it in the broth for a few minutes is also an excellent idea!
This soup is absolutely perfect if you’re feeling a little under the weather – it’s full of nutrients, fibre, protein and is so warming and comforting. I love the contrast of the chewy, nutty brown rice with the soft, silky tofu and hearty vegetables and fresh, crisp pea shoots combined with the intensely savoury miso and sesame-flavoured broth.
What would also be a great addition to this Miso Brown Rice Soup is kimchi! You can buy vegan-friendly kimchi, and if you can’t get hold of it, you could always try making your own. Kimchi not only adds a delicious pungent flavour that compliments the mellowness of the miso, but also adds lots of probiotics that will keep your tummy happy!
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love for you to take a photo and tag it #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! It would really make my day to see what you come up with!
- 2 portions brown rice
- 300g soft, silky tofu (or sub a hard, firm variety if you can’t get hold of this)
- 1/2 leek, thinly sliced
- 2 Chinese cabbage leafs, roughly chopped
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, roughly chopped (or sub oyster or maitake mushrooms)
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 heaped teaspoon miso
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon (ground) sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or tamari if gluten-free)
- Pinch of black pepper, to taste
- Handful of pea shoots (or sub watercress or cress)
- Kimchi (ensure vegan-friendly if necessary)
- Cook rice according to instructions on packet
- Drain the tofu, cut into cubes and set aside
- Add the leeks, Chinese cabbage, shiitake mushrooms, stock cube, miso, sesame oil, sesame seeds, soy sauce and black pepper in a saucepan with enough water to cover
- Bring to the boil and cook on a low heat for a few minutes until vegetables are cooked
- Add the tofu and cooked brown rice and mix gently so as not to break up the tofu – cook for a couple of minutes just to warm everything through
- Taste and add more salt if necessary
- Serve into bowls and top with the pea shoots