This Bubble and Squeak is crispy on the outside, tender on the inside and so easy to make using leftover mashed potatoes and vegetables! It’s made using just 5 ingredients, and it’s nutritious, filling and satisfying too. It’s vegan and gluten-free, and perfect for breakfast, brunch or dinner!
What is Bubble and Squeak?
Bubble and Squeak is a traditional British breakfast dish that’s a bit like a large pancake/frittata made using vegetables (usually cabbage) and mashed potatoes, usually leftovers from a roast dinner. They get fried together in a pan until golden brown on both sides.
It’s called Bubble and Squeak because the cabbage makes bubbling and squeaking sounds as it’s being cooked.
How to make Bubble and Squeak
Scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe.
- Fry the onion and cabbage for around 15 minutes.
- Add the mashed potatoes and salt + pepper and mix well.
Tip: This is my favourite mashed potatoes recipe.
- Use a spoon to push the mixture right up to the sides of the pan and flatten the surface.
- Fry on a low heat for around 7 minutes until the bottom is golden brown.
- Place a large plate on top of the frying pan then quickly turn it upside down, so that the top is on the bottom of the plate.
- Use a spatula to gently push it off the plate onto the frying pan, so that you can cook the other side too.
- Cook for a further 7 minutes until both sides are golden brown.
How to serve Bubble and Squeak:
- Ketchup or brown sauce.
- Baked beans.
- This white bean scramble
- Vegan sausages.
Substitutions you can make to this recipe:
- You can replace the cabbage with any other greens like kale, spinach or Brussels sprouts.
- You can add any other vegetables you like – this is especially convenient if you have leftover vegetables to use up.
- You can replace the mashed potatoes with mashed sweet potatoes, mashed swede, mashed parsnips or mashed celeriac.
- Instead of making one large “cake”, you can make mini patties instead!
More potato dishes:
- Potato Salad
- Potato Dauphinoise Gratin
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Scalloped Sweet Potato Gratin
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Scalloped Potatoes
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo @rhiansrecipes #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Watch how to make this recipe:
Bubble and Squeak (Vegan + GF)
- 2 tablespoons oil (coconut, vegetable, rapeseed or olive)
- 1 onion , thinly sliced
- 100 g (3.5 oz) cabbage , roughly chopped
- 500 g (2 2/12 cups) leftover mashed potatoes *
- Salt + pepper to taste
To serve (suggestions):
- Ketchup or brown sauce
- Baked beans
- Heat up the oil in a large non-stick frying pan
- Add the onion and cabbage and fry for around 15 minutes until softened
- Add the mashed potatoes and salt + pepper and mix well
- Use a spoon to push the mixture right up to the sides of the pan and flatten the surface
- Fry on a low heat for around 7 minutes until the bottom is golden brown
- Place a large plate on top of the frying pan then quickly turn it upside down, so that the top is on the bottom of the plate
- Use a spatula to gently push it off the plate onto the frying pan, so that you can cook the other side too
- Cook for a further 7 minutes until both sides are golden brown
- Slice before serving
- Best enjoyed immediately!
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you click through and purchase any of the products, a small percentage will come to me, with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.