This Gluten-Free Vegan Lemon Pound Cake is:
- easy to make
- super moist
- sweet and tangy!
The recipe for this Lemon Pound Cake comes together easily, requiring just one bowl and simple, versatile ingredients. You can use any type of oil, any type of liquid sweetener, and you can substitute the gluten-free flour with normal flour if you don’t want it to be gluten-free.
Plus, the resulting cake is honestly undetectably vegan, gluten-free and refined sugar free, and relatively healthy too.
The recipe is similar to my Lemon Drizzle Cake, but it’s made with a special ingredient.
I’ve been using plant-based yogurt in desserts recently, and, as traditional Lemon Pound Cake sometimes contains sour cream or yogurt, I decided to add plant-based yogurt to the batter.
This worked beautifully, and the yogurt serves two purposes:
- it keeps the cake super moist and creates a beautifully dense crumb
- it adds the best tangy flavour.
I used coconut yogurt, but you can use any type of plant-based yogurt you like. If you can’t get hold of plant-based yogurt, you can substitute it with any type of plant-based milk.
Lemon juice and lemon zest add even more tanginess and bright, citrusy flavour.
This Lemon Pound Cake is simple yet elegant, and makes a great dessert but can also be enjoyed as a snack, brunch or even breakfast.
For more vegan lemon desserts, check out my:
- White Chocolate Lemon Cake
- Lemon Layer Cake
- Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
- Lemon Drizzle Cake
- Lemon Curd
- Lemon Pie
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Helpful tools to make this Gluten-Free Vegan Lemon Pound Cake:
This Gluten-Free Vegan Lemon Pound Cake is easy to make, super moist and perfectly tangy!
- 60 g (1/4 cup) coconut oil (or sub olive or vegetable oil)
- 230 ml (1 cup) plant-based yogurt - I used coconut yogurt (or any other plant-based milk)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 8 tablespoons maple syrup (or sub any other sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 150 g (1 1/4 cup) ground almonds* (almond meal)
- 150 g (1 1/4 cup) gluten-free flour blend (or sub plain flour if not gluten-free)
- 2 heaped teaspoons baking power (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Place the coconut oil in a large bowl and melt over a saucepan of boiling water or in the microwave (skip this step if using any other oil)
- Once melted, add the yogurt to the same bowl along with the lemon juice, lemon zest, maple syrup, vanilla, salt and ground almonds
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda
- Mix well, adding a tiny splash of any plant-based milk if it’s looking too dry
- Transfer the mixture into a loaf tin lined with greased baking paper (I used a one-pound loaf tin)
- Bake in oven for around 45 minutes until risen and golden brown and an inserted skewer comes out clean
- Once out the oven, leave to cool completely before cutting
- Keeps covered in the fridge for up to a few days - best reheated in the toaster!
*You can alternatively use almond flour
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you click through and purchase any of the products, a small percentage will come to me, with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.