This Vegan Lemon Curd is:
- rich and creamy
- sweet and tangy
- naturally sweetened!
I’d been thinking of making a vegan lemon curd recipe for a long time, especially as I plan to use it to make a Vegan Lemon Pie, Vegan Lemon Bars or a Vegan Lemon Curd Cake – the possible uses are endless!
Not only is this lemon curd dairy-free and egg-free, but it’s also:
- refined sugar free
…which makes it suitable for a range of other dietary requirements and allergies too.
What’s more, this vegan lemon curd is super easy to make, requiring just one pot and only 4 ingredients.
The base of this vegan lemon curd is a custard made using shop-bought custard powder.
This is my favourite custard powder – it’s vegan, gluten-free and sugar-free, and contains just 4 simple ingredients!
Not only does the custard powder act as a thickener, making the lemon curd extra creamy, it also adds a lovely colour without having to use something like turmeric.
So, all you need to do is to make a custard using custard powder and your choice of plant-based milk.
You can use any type of dairy-free milk, though results do vary depending on which you choose: cashew or oat milk make the creamiest curd, whilst almond or coconut milk will be less creamy. If you prefer a more jam-like consistency, rice milk works well.
If you can’t get hold of a shop-bought custard powder, you can substitute it with the same amount of cornflour (cornstarch), which will result in a similar texture and flavour, though the colour will be considerably less yellow.
Then all you need to do is add lemon juice – I didn’t add any lemon zest as I prefer a super smooth curd and find that zest can make it grainy.
I used maple syrup to sweeten, but any other liquid sweetener would work too. I definitely suggest taste-testing the lemon curd whilst cooking, so you can add some more lemon juice or maple syrup to taste.
I flavoured this lemon curd for it to be eaten like a pudding, but if you’d like to use it to spread on toast, or as a frosting for a layer cake, you will have to add extra lemon juice and maple syrup to taste.
For more lemon desserts, check out my:
- White Chocolate Lemon Cake
- Lemon Blueberry Mug Cake
- Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
- Lemon Drizzle Cake
- Lemon Blueberry Cake
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Helpful tools to make this Vegan Lemon Curd:
Vegan Lemon Curd (GF)
- Measure out the milk in a jug or measuring container
- Pour the milk into a pan, leaving behind a few tablespoons of milk in the jug
- Heat up the milk in the pan
- Add the custard powder to the remaining milk in the jug and mix well, ensuring it has dissolved completely
- Once the milk in the pan is steaming, add approximately half of the hot milk to the bowl with the dissolved custard powder, mix well and transfer the custard powder mixture to the saucepan
- Mix well and keep stirring on a low heat for around 5 minutes, until thickened
- Add the lemon juice and maple syrup
- Taste and add extra lemon juice or maple syrup if desired***
- Pour into jars/cups and leave in the fridge for up to a few hours for it to set
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you click through and purchase any of the products, a small percentage will come to me, with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.