This Kinako French Toast is soft and pillowy on the inside, crispy on the inside and has a lovely nutty kinako flavour.
I must admit I wasn’t expecting it to be so delicious, but the flavours work perfectly together. The kinako powder really adds to this recipe by making the bread extra crispy on the outside, whilst adding a lovely nutty sweetness.
You can use any kind of oil to fry the bread – I think coconut oil works particularly well here as it adds a lovely rich taste and makes the French Toast really crispy!
This recipe is pretty healthy compared to normal French toast and is great for dessert, breakfast, brunch or even an indulgent snack!
Kinako, which means “yellow flour” in Japanese, is roasted soybean flour. It’s a really healthy topping and flavouring ingredient as it’s full of protein and Vitamin B. You can buy kinako powder in Asian supermarkets.
This Kinako French Toast is lovely served with maple syrup and fresh fruit – blueberries or raspberries work particularly well.
You could also serve it for dessert with a scoop of Matcha Ice Cream!
Looking for more breakfast recipes? You might like my:
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Kinako French Toast (Vegan + GF)
- Maple syrup to taste
- Fresh berries: blueberries or raspberries
- Place the bread in a bowl and pour over milk until bread is soaked through
- Heat oil in a frying pan and place soaked bread in it
- While the bottom side of the bread is cooking, sprinkle kinako powder on the upwards-facing side of bread and fry for a few minutes
- Turn over the bread and sprinkle the rest of the kinako powder on the other side and fry for another few minutes
- Turn over the bread a couple more times, until crispy and golden brown - should take around 5 minutes. Sprinkle more kinako powder as you go along if necessary
- Serve with maple syrup and fresh berries (blueberries or raspberries work particularly well)
- Best enjoyed immediately
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you click through and purchase any of the products, a small percentage will come to me, with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.