These Sweet Potato Brownies are seriously indulgent, rich and fudgy and secretly healthy! They're also very nutritious, perfectly satisfying and don't taste of sweet potato! They're a good source of protein and fibre and are vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar free, date-sweetened, grain-free and oil-free too. They're an easy dessert that requires just one bowl (food processor) to make!
How to make this recipe
Scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe.
- Cook the sweet potato.
- Add the cooked sweet potatoes, soaked and drained dates, cocoa powder, almond butter, salt and plant-based milk to a food processor or blender.
- Whizz until completely smooth.
- Add the ground almonds (almond meal) and baking powder.
- Blend again briefly to combine.
- Transfer the batter to a square baking tin.
Tip: Line the tin with greased baking paper to make it easier to remove the brownies after.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Leave to cool slightly before cutting into squares!
Substitutions you can make
- You can replace the sweet potato with pumpkin (use my Vegan Pumpkin Brownies recipe).
- You can use any type of nut or seed butter - almond butter, peanut butter, cashew butter, sunflower seed butter etc.
- You can use any type of plant-based milk - almond milk, cashew milk, soy milk, rice milk, oat milk etc.
- You can replace the ground almonds with ground hazelnuts or ground walnuts.
How long do these Sweet Potato Brownies keep for?
These Sweet Potato Brownies keep covered in the fridge for up to a few days - the taste or texture remains unchanged which means they're great for meal prep and making ahead for entertaining.
More vegan chocolate recipes
- Mississippi Mud Pie
- Chocolate Truffle Cake
- Black Bean Brownies
- Chocolate Baked Donuts
- Chocolate Truffles
- Avocado Brownies
- Beetroot Brownies
Not a fan of chocolate?
Try my Sweet Potato Blondies instead!
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo @rhiansrecipes #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Watch how to make this recipe
Sweet Potato Brownies (Vegan + GF)
- 500 g (17.5 oz) sweet potatoes , peeled and diced
- 200 g (1 ⅛ cup) pitted dates soaked overnight in cold water or 10 minutes in boiling water
- 50 g (½ cup) cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons smooth almond butter (or sub peanut butter)
- 180 ml (¾ cup) unsweetened almond milk (or sub any other plant-based milk)
- Pinch salt to taste
- 200 g (1 ⅔ cup) ground almonds (almond meal) * (or sub ground hazelnuts or walnuts)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Place the sweet potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes, until soft enough to gently pierce with a fork.
- Drain the sweet potatoes and drain away the water from the soaked dates.
- Place the cooked sweet potatoes, drained dates, cocoa powder, almond butter, almond milk and salt in a food processor or blender.
- Blend until completely smooth, mixing it around a couple of times if necessary.
- And the ground almonds and baking powder and blend briefly just to combine.
- Transfer the mixture into a square or rectangular baking tin lined with greased baking paper - I used a 23cm/9inch square baking tin.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes. They should be slightly cracked at the top and slightly firm inside but still quite gooey - be careful not to overcook!
- Leave to cool before cutting into squares.
- Keeps covered in the fridge for up to a few days.
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you purchase any of these products, a small percentage will come to me with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.