These Vegan Pumpkin Brownies are rich and fudgy, naturally sweetened and perfectly satisfying! They taste indulgent but are secretly healthy, and are a good source of protein and fibre. They're gluten-free, grain-free, refined sugar free, date-sweetened, oil-free and nut-free optional. Perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas!
How to make this recipe
Scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe.
- Place the soaked and drained dates, almond butter and plant-based milk in a food processor or blender.
- Whizz until completely smooth.
- Transfer into a glass mixing bowl along with all the other ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Transfer the batter into a square baking tin.
Tip: Line the tin with greased baking paper to make it easier to remove the brownies after.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Leave to cool slightly before cutting into squares!
Substitutions you can make to this recipe
- You can use any type of nut or seed butter - almond butter, peanut butter, cashew butter, sunflower seed butter, tahini etc.
- You can use any type of plant-based milk - almond milk, cashew milk, soy milk, rice milk, oat milk etc.
- You can replace the ground almonds with ground hazelnuts, ground walnuts or ground sunflower seeds.
- To make pumpkin spice brownies, you can add 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- You can make them nut-free by using ground sunflower seeds instead of ground almonds, sunflower seed butter or tahini instead of almond butter and nut-free plant-based milk.
How long do these keep for?
These Pumpkin Brownies keep covered in the fridge for up to a few days - the taste or texture remains unchanged which means they're great for meal prep and making ahead for entertaining.
More vegan brownies
- Sweet Potato Brownies
- Black Bean Brownies
- No-Bake Brownies
- Zucchini Brownies
- Peppermint Brownies
- Avocado Brownies
- Beetroot Brownies
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo @rhiansrecipes #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Vegan Pumpkin Brownies (Gluten-Free)
- 235 g (1 ⅓ cup) pitted dates soaked overnight in cold water or 10 minutes in boiling water
- 2 tablespoons smooth almond butter (or sub peanut butter)
- 120 ml (½ cup) unsweetened almond milk (or sub any other plant-based milk)
- 65 g (⅔ cup) cocoa powder
- 450 g (15 oz) tin of pumpkin purée
- Pinch salt to taste
- 200 g (1 ⅔ cup) ground almonds (almond meal) * (or sub ground hazelnuts or walnuts)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Drain the dates and place in a food processor or blender with the almond butter and almond milk.
- Blend until completely smooth, mixing it around a couple of times if necessary.
- Transfer into a large mixing bowl along with the cocoa powder, pumpkin purée, salt, ground almonds and baking powder.
- Mix well, adding a tiny splash more milk if it’s looking too dry.
- Transfer the mixture into a square or rectangular baking tin lined with greased baking paper - I used a 23cm/9inch square baking tin.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. They should be slightly cracked at the top and slightly firm inside but still quite gooey - be careful not to overcook!
- Leave to cool before cutting into squares .
- Keeps covered in the fridge for up to a few days.
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you purchase any of these products, a small percentage will come to me with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.