This Gluten-Free Vegan Zucchini Bread is seriously moist, perfectly dense and tastes a bit like banana bread! It's subtly spiced with cinnamon which gives it a warm, toasty flavour, you can make it either sweet or savoury, and it's the best way to hide your veggies. It's easily customisable, comes together in one bowl, requires just a handful of simple ingredients to make, and is refined sugar free or can be made with no added sugar!
How to make this recipe
- Grate the zucchini (courgette) using a box grater.
Tip: Use both hands to squeeze as much water as possible out of the grated zucchini - this will help it cook better.
- Place all the ingredients into a glass mixing bowl and mix it all together.
Tip: Make sure to use a measuring jug to measure out the exact amount of plant-based milk!
- Transfer the zucchini bread batter to a one-pound loaf tin.
Tip: Make sure to line the loaf tin with greased baking paper - this will make removing the bread from the tin so much easier!
- Top with chopped walnuts, if desired.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely before slicing.
Substitutions you can make
- You can use any type of oil: coconut oil, olive oil or vegetable oil.
- You can use any type of plant-based milk: almond milk, rice milk, soy milk, cashew milk, oat milk etc.
- You can use any type of liquid sweetener: maple syrup, agave syrup, brown rice syrup, date syrup etc.
- You can make a more savoury/no added sugar zucchini bread by completely omitting the maple syrup.
- The apple cider vinegar is crucial as the acidity reacts with the alkali bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) - it can be replaced with lemon juice.
- You can replace the ground walnuts with ground almonds.
- For a nut-free version: replace the ground walnuts with ground sunflower seeds.
- You can use plain flour, wholemeal (whole wheat) flour or spelt flour instead of the gluten-free flour if you’re not gluten-free.
- The ground cinnamon can be omitted.
Flavour substitutions you can make
- For some extra crunch, you can top this zucchini bread with chopped walnuts, pecan nuts, flaked almonds or coconut flakes before baking.
- You can add lemon zest, chocolate chips, raisins, desiccated coconut or dried cranberries to the batter.
- For a chocolate zucchini bread, check out my Chocolate Zucchini Bread recipe!
- Want to make muffins instead? Use my Zucchini Muffins recipe!
It tastes amazing spread with coconut butter, almond butter or peanut butter.
How long does this keep for?
This keeps covered in the fridge for up to a few days. It's best reheated in the toaster.
More quick-bread recipes
- Gluten-Free Vegan Bread
- Gluten-Free Vegan Blueberry Banana Bread
- Gluten-Free Vegan Apple Bread
- Gluten-Free Vegan Seeded Buckwheat Bread
- Gluten-Free Vegan Irish Soda Bread
- Gluten-Free Vegan Cornbread
- Gluten-Free Vegan Carrot Bread
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo @rhiansrecipes #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Watch how to make it
Gluten-Free Vegan Zucchini Bread
- 60 g (¼ cup) coconut oil (or sub olive or vegetable oil)
- 8 tablespoons maple syrup (or sub any other sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar * (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- Pinch salt
- 150 g (1 cup) zucchini (courgette) , grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 150 ml (⅔ cup) unsweetened almond milk (or any other plant-based milk)
- 150 g (1 ¼ cup) ground walnuts ** (or sub ground almonds/almond meal)
- 150 g (1 ¼ cup) gluten-free flour blend (or sub plain flour if not gluten-free)
- 2 heaped teaspoons baking powder (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- ¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 30 g (¼ cup) walnuts , roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Use both hands to squeeze as much water as possible out of the grated zucchini - this will help it cook better.
- Place the coconut oil in a separate large bowl and melt over a saucepan of boiling water or in the microwave (skip this step if using any other oil).
- Once melted, add the maple syrup, vinegar, salt, zucchini, cinnamon, milk and ground walnuts to the same bowl.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
- Mix well, adding a splash more milk if it's looking too dry.
- Transfer the mixture into a loaf tin lined with greased baking paper (I used a one-pound loaf tin).
- Scatter over the chopped walnuts.
- Bake in the oven for around 45 minutes until risen and golden brown and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Once out the oven, leave to cool on a wire rack before cutting.
- Keeps covered in the fridge for up to a few days - best reheated in the toaster!
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you purchase any of these products, a small percentage will come to me with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.