A rich and indulgent vegan chocolate ice cream…sounds too good to be true? I thought so too, until I discovered the incredible magic of sweet potatoes. I present to you this Vegan Chocolate Sweet Potato Ice Cream!
And even if you don’t have any dietary requirements, it’s a great ice cream to make because it’s so quick and easy to make, and so much cheaper, healthier AND more delicious than shop-bought chocolate ice cream! Plus the sweet potatoes are quite filling and will charge you with lots of sustainable energy, so you won’t want to eat loads of it like regular ice cream only to collapse in a food coma afterwards. You can eat it completely guilt-free as it’s basically just the same as having vegetables for dessert but you definitely won’t notice I promise!
Inspired by the Purple Sweet Potato Ice Cream I posted about the other day, I decided to freeze some regular sweet potatoes, and because of their naturally creamy texture and high sugar content, sweet potatoes make a great alternative to frozen bananas for homemade soft-serve ice cream. And because of their less distinctive taste (you really can’t taste the sweet potatoes at all once you add the chocolate), you can them as a basis for different flavours.
The biggest attraction for me is how ridiculously easy it is to make – all you need to do is cook your sweet potato, freeze it and blend with any kind of yogurt – coconut yogurt or cream work well, as does regular yogurt, along with some cocoa powder and sweetener of choice.
I used this dairy-free Coyo coconut yogurt which you can get in most supermarkets. It makes the ice cream extra rich and creamy.
And you only need a hand-held stick blender for this, or a food processor or smoothie blender or NutriBullet – essentially any blending device of your choice!
If you’re looking for more vegan ice cream recipes, you might like my Healthy Snickers Ice Cream Bites, Matcha Sweet Potato Ice Cream, Sesame Sweet Potato Ice Cream or Peanut Butter Sweet Potato Ice Cream!
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love for you to take a photo and tag it #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! It would really make my day to see what you come up with!
- 1 medium-sized sweet potato (about 200g/7oz)
- 3 tablespoons coconut yogurt (or sub any kind of milk)
- 2 heaped teaspoons cocoa powder/cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or sub any other sweetener), to taste
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into small pieces
- Boil or steam for about 15 minutes, or until soft enough to pierce with a fork, and drain
- Mash the sweet potatoes with a fork
- Once cooled, transfer the mash into a freezer-friendly container and place in freezer until completely frozen
- Place the frozen mash into your blending device of choice along with the yogurt, cocoa powder and maple syrup
- Blend until it forms a thick ice-cream-like texture – you will probably have to mix it around a few times during this process to make sure it’s all evenly blended
- Serve in a cone or cup!