Creamy Vegan Pesto Pasta may sound like a bit of a contradiction but it’s just as rich and indulgent as the real thing and infinitely healthier.
I’ve always preferred creamy pesto sauce to normal pesto sauce – there’s something so satisfying about it’s silky smooth texture and it’s so warming and comforting. However, being lactose-intolerant it’s always made me feel slightly queasy…so, I decided to try to create a dairy-free version and I’ve finally found the best recipe!
This pesto pasta makes a great quick meal as it all comes together in about 20 minutes. All you need to do is put some basic ingredients in a blender to make the pesto and add some unsweetened almond milk thickened with cornflour.
The trickiest part of this recipe is probably working with cornflour – I’ve found through trial and lots of error that it’s a pretty fickle ingredient that only works if the conditions are exactly right. You have to dissolve it first in a very small amount cold water and then only add it to the sauce once it’s very hot and bubbling. If you add the cornflour straight to the hot sauce without dissolving it in cold water first, it’ll form small clumps that refuse to dissolve and if you add the dissolved cornflour when the sauce isn’t very hot, the same thing will happen. However, if you do end up with a sauce full of clumps of cornflour, you can just tip the sauce back into the blender you made your pesto in until you get rid of the lumps and then reheat the sauce in the pan, gently stirring it, and it should thicken up.
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love for you to take a photo and tag it #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! It would really make my day to see what you come up with!
- 2 portions of pasta (ensure gluten-free if necessary - I like brown rice spaghetti)
- Bunch of fresh basil
- 1 clove of garlic
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch of salt + pepper, to taste
- Optional: 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- Splash of cold water
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Boil pasta according to instructions on packet
- Meanwhile, add all ingredients for the pesto to a blender and whizz until smooth
- Put the cornflour in a bowl and dissolve in a splash of cold water
- Heat up a frying pan and add the milk and pesto
- Once (and only once) the sauce is very hot and bubbling, stir in the dissolved cornflour
- Add the pasta and mix well
- *You can also use store-bought pesto (ensure dairy-free) if necessary
- I like to add some peas to this, but you can also add any other vegetables you like - broccoli, spinach, courgettes etc