This Vegan Tofu Pad Thai is so easy to make, super versatile and perfect for quick weeknight dinners!
It’s also gluten-free – I made this recipe here using Thai-style rice noodles, but you could also use vegetable noodles such as courgette or carrot noodles for a lighter dish.
You can customise this Pad Thai however you wish – I went with chunks of hard, firm tofu, which soak up the flavours of the sauce beautifully. I used this Cauldron Original Tofu, which is a hard, firm tofu that you can buy in most supermarkets.
You can also customise the dish based on whatever vegetables you happen to have on hand – I went with courgettes, carrots and red peppers, but things like beansprouts, French beans or mange-tout would also work really well.
The real highlight of the dish is the gorgeous sauce – it’s rich from the peanut butter, slightly caramelised from the sweet chilli sauce, tangy from the lime juice, salty from the soy sauce (use tamari if gluten-free) and has a kick of heat from the chilli. Finish with an extra squeeze of zingy lime and a flourish of crunchy roasted peanuts.
If you’re looking for something to serve with this Pad Thai, may I recommend my Thai Mango Salad or Papaya, Mint & Lime Salad? If you’re hosting a dinner party, it might be nice to serve it alongside this Thai Green Curry Rice.
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love for you to take a photo and tag it #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! It would really make my day to see what you come up with!
- 2 portions Thai-style rice noodles
- 200g (7oz) hard, firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons oil (coconut, rapeseed or vegetable)
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1cm ginger, minced
- 1 courgette, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- Handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Handful of fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (or sub tamari if gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce (I used Blue Dragon)
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Optional: chilli (as much or as little as you like)
- Handful of roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- Cook rice noodles according to instructions on packet
- Mix together the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl
- Drain tofu and cut into small cubes. Place tofu cubes in a bowl with half of the sauce and mix well until every cube is evenly coated
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add the onions and ginger once hot
- Fry for a few minutes until slightly softened, then add the tofu, courgette, carrot and peppers, along with the remainder of the sauce, coriander and basil
- Once cooked, add cooked rice noodles and mix well
- To serve, sprinkle with chopped peanuts and squeeze over some extra lime juice if you wish