This Vegan Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese is rich and creamy, full of flavour and so comforting. It makes the best nutritious yet hearty meal!
Why you’ll love this Vegan Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese:
- it’s luxuriously creamy
- it’s smooth and velvety
- it’s easy to make
- it’s comforting and warming
- it’s nutritious
- it’s full of flavour
- it’s gluten-free
- it’s nut-free optional
- it makes a great vegan main course or side dish for Thanksgiving or Christmas!
How to make this Vegan Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
Scroll to the bottom of the post for the full recipe.
- Cook the pasta – add the kale 5 minutes before the end.
- Place the butternut squash in a separate pan and roughly cover with water.
- Bring to the boil and cook on a low heat for 15 minutes.
- Fry the onion and garlic.
- Whizz the sauce until completely smooth.
- Transfer the sauce into one of the pans you used, along with the cooked pasta and kale.
- Cook until heated though – taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
Substitutions you can make to this recipe:
- you can use any type of pasta – brown rice pasta, quinoa pasta or green pea pasta are my favourite gluten-free ones
- you can omit the kale or substitute it with spinach or broccoli
- you can substitute the butternut squash with pumpkin or sweet potato
- you can substitute the white beans with chickpeas
- you can omit the smoked paprika
- you can substitute the almond milk with cashew milk or oat milk for a nut-free version
- you can add herbs to the sauce much as rosemary or sage.
More vegan pasta recipes:
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo @rhiansrecipes #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Vegan Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese (GF)
- 200 g (7 oz) pasta (gluten-free if necessary)
- Two handfuls kale
For the sauce:
- 1/2 butternut squash , peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon oil (olive, rapeseed or vegetable)
- 1 onion , diced
- 2 garlic cloves , roughly chopped
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) unsweetened almond milk (or sub unsweetened cashew milk, or unsweetened oat milk if nut-free)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 400 g (14 oz) tin of white beans , drained and rinsed (haricot beans, cannellini beans or butter beans)
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta according to instructions on packet - add the kale 5 minutes before the end
- Place the butternut squash in a separate pan and roughly cover with water
- Bring to the boil and cook on a low heat for 15 minutes, or until soft enough to pierce with a fork
- Heat up the oil in a frying pan
- Once hot, add the onion and garlic and cook for around 10 minutes until soft
- Place the cooked butternut squash, fried onion and garlic, almond milk, nutritional yeast, white beans, smoked paprika and salt + pepper in a food processor or blender
- Whizz the sauce until completely smooth - add more milk or water to thin out if necessary
- Transfer the sauce into one of the pans you used, along with the cooked pasta and kale
- Cook until heated though - taste and adjust seasonings if necessary
- Enjoy immediately!
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you click through and purchase any of these films, a small percentage will come to me, with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.