This Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup is:
- rich and indulgent
- full of flavour
- warming and comforting!
This Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup was inspired by my Creamy Vegan Tomato Sauce Pasta – as I’ve been on a bit of a soup kick recently, I thought I might try my hand at a cream of tomato soup kinda situation.
But instead of using white beans for creaminess like in this Creamy Vegan Corn Chowder, I decided to use cashew nuts instead.
Blended cashews create a luxuriously creamy texture, and add a sweet mildness that balances out the acidity of the tomatoes.
What I love about blended cashews is that they create a seriously creamy texture and rich taste without being too heavy or cloying, and provide a good source of protein too.
The recipe for this Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup is pretty low-maintenance too, as there’s no need to soak the cashews beforehand, as they become soft being cooked with the rest of the ingredients.
The flavour comes from fried onions, garlic, carrots and celery, sweet, smoky paprika and aromatic oregano. You can also add a little ‘cheesy’ nutritional yeast and spicy cayenne chilli pepper if you like.
This soup is perfect for batch-cooking – it keeps well covered in the fridge for up to a few days, and freezes well too!
For more soups, check out my:
- Pumpkin Curry Soup
- Creamy Pumpkin Gnocchi Soup
- Pea Pasta Minestrone Soup
- Pea Zucchini Mint Soup
- Sweet Potato Peanut Soup
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Helpful tools to make this Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup:
Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup (GF)
- 1 tablespoon oil (olive, rapeseed or vegetable)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 400 g (14oz) tin of tomatoes
- 100 g (⅔ cup) raw cashew nuts
- 1 vegetable stock cube (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- Pinch cayenne chilli pepper, to taste (optional)
- Heat up the oil in a saucepan and add onion, garlic, celery and carrot once hot
- Fry for around 15 minutes until soft
- Add the paprika, tinned tomatoes, cashew nuts, stock cube, oregano, salt + pepper and 600ml (2 ½ cups) water (and nutritional yeast and chilli if using)
- Bring to the boil then turn down heat and simmer for around 20 minutes
- Turn off heat and use a hand-held stick blender, food processor or blender to whizz until completely smooth - add more water if it's too thick, taste and adjust seasonings if necessary
- Keeps well covered in the fridge for up to a few days and freezes well too
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you click through and purchase any of the products, a small percentage will come to me, with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.