This Vegan Corn Chowder is sweet and creamy, super easy to make, and nutritious and filling!
Weirdly enough, creamy corn soup is very popular in Japan – it’s sold in vending machines in winter and actually comes out hot! You can also find instant corn soup in supermarkets – you just have to add hot water to the powder and stir. As nice as these may taste, they’re not very vegan-friendly or healthy, so I decided to make a homemade version…
This Vegan Corn Chowder here tastes just as rich and indulgent as the traditional version, but is much healthier. The creamy texture comes from unsweetened almond milk (you can substitute with unsweetened oat milk for a nut-free version) and white beans!
I like to use blended white beans to create a creamy texture (like in this White Bean Mac and Cheese) – I love that they’re less expensive than cashews, and provide a good source of protein and fibre.
Why you’ll love this Vegan Corn Chowder:
- it’s rich and creamy
- it’s sweet and nutty
- it’s super comforting
- it’s filling and satisfying
- it’s a good source of protein and fibre
- it’s easy to make
- it’s nut-free optional
- it’s gluten-free
- it’s ready in 35 minutes
- it’s great for batch cooking
- it freezes well
- it makes a great a packed lunch (as long as you have somewhere to reheat it)!
How to make this Vegan Corn Chowder
Scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe.
- Fry the onion, garlic, celery and carrots.
- Add the almond milk, white beans, sweetcorn, stock cube, salt + pepper and water.
Tip: Use a measuring jug to measure out the milk and water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for around 15 minutes.
- Blend until it becomes a smooth liquid.
Tip: Add some more water if it’s too thick at this stage.
How long does this Vegan Corn Chowder keep for?
This Corn Chowder keeps covered in the fridge for a few days and freeze well – reheat in a pan on the hob (stove), adding some extra water if necessary.
Substitutions you can make to this recipe:
- you can substitute the almond milk with cashew milk
- for a nut-free version, you can use oat milk instead of almond milk
- other plant-based milks such as soy milk or rice milk can be used, but they will affect the taste.
More vegan soups:
- Pumpkin Curry Soup
- Creamy Pumpkin Gnocchi Soup
- Thai Green Curry Rice Soup
- Pea Pasta Minestrone Soup
- Pea Zucchini Mint Soup
- Miso Pumpkin Soup
- Sweet Potato Peanut Soup
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo @rhiansrecipes #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Vegan Corn Chowder (GF)
- 1 tablespoon oil (coconut, vegetable, rapeseed or olive)
- 1 onion , sliced
- 1 garlic clove , roughly chopped
- 1 celery stick , sliced
- 1 carrot , peeled and diced
- 400 ml (1 2/3 cup) unsweetened almond milk (or sub unsweetened oat milk for a nut-free version)
- 400 g (14 oz) tin of white beans , drained and rinsed (cannellini, haricot or butter beans)
- 200 g (7 oz) cooked sweetcorn (tinned or thawed frozen sweetcorn works well)
- 1 vegetable stock cube (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley , roughly chopped
- Heat up the oil in a large saucepan and add the onion, garlic, celery and carrot once hot
- Fry for around 10 minutes until softened
- Add the almond milk, white beans, sweetcorn, stock cube salt + pepper, along with 600ml (2 1/2 cups) water
- Bring to the boil and simmer on a low heat for around 15 minutes
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender (or use a hand-held stick blender) to whizz until completely smooth - add more water to thin out if necessary
- Taste and add more salt if necessary
- Serve into bowls and scatter over chopped parsley, if desired
- Leftovers keep covered in the fridge for up to a few days and also freeze well
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you click through and purchase any of the products, a small percentage will come to me, with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.