These Gluten-Free Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Cookies are:
- soft and chewy
- fragrant and fruity
- much healthier than the traditional version!
I was really craving some cookies the other day, and wondered what type would be easiest to make vegan and gluten-free…I almost instantly thought of Oatmeal Raisin Cookies. As they’re already made using oats, which can be gluten-free, I knew I wouldn’t have to stray too far from the original recipe to make a gluten-free and vegan version.
These Gluten-Free Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Cookies are made using a mixture of rolled oats (ensure these are gluten-free certified if necessary) and ground almonds. The ground almonds help to bind the mixture together without flax or chia eggs, and they also create a soft and chewy texture.
The cinnamon and vanilla together create a fragrant, warm and toasty flavour, and I made sure to add plenty of raisins for sweetness. If you’re not a fan of raisins, dried cranberries, dried cherries or even dried blueberries would be a great alternative!
These Gluten-Free Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Cookies are much healthier than the traditional version (maybe even healthy enough to eat for breakfast?) as they’re naturally sweetened. The raisins are already pretty sweet, so I added just a little maple syrup. If you don’t have too much of a sweet tooth then you could probably even omit the maple syrup completely and just use the raisins.
The recipe is pretty versatile as you can substitute the maple syrup with any other similar liquid sweetener such as agave syrup or brown rice syrup. The coconut oil can also be substituted with olive or vegetable oil. These cookies are also super easy to make and require just one bowl!
For more delicious vegan cookies, check out my:
- Gingerbread Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Orange Cookies
- Chocolate Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Matcha Green Tea Shortbread
- Black Sesame Shortbread
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
These Gluten-Free Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Cookies are soft and chewy, fragrant and fruity and much healthier than the traditional version!
- 30 g (1/8 cup) coconut oil (or sub olive or vegetable oil)
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup (or sub any other sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 60 g (1/2 cup) ground almonds (almond meal/flour)
- 150 g (1 1/2 cups) rolled oats (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- 100 g (2/3 cup) raisins
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) milk, any kind
Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Place the coconut oil in a large bowl and melt over a saucepan of boiling water or in the microwave (skip this step if using any other oil)
- Once melted, add all the other ingredients to the same bowl
- Mix well, adding a tiny splash more milk if it’s looking too dry
Take a heaped tablespoon of the mixture and use your hands to form it into little patties
Lay it out onto a baking tray lined with greased baking paper
- Repeat until the rest of the batter is used up - you should be able to make 12 cookies
- Bake in the oven for around 15 minutes until golden brown
- Leave to cool completely before storing in an airtight container - keeps for a good few days