These Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Cookies are super easy to make, chewy and fudgy and seriously indulgent yet secretly healthy! They're super chocolatey, but also grain-free, refined sugar free and paleo too. They're perfect for Christmas and gift-giving!
Imagine the most decadent chocolate cookie you've ever eaten. Now, imagine if that same cookie was relatively healthy, and left you feeling great. Sounds too good to be true, right? Not until you've made these Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Cookies!
How to make these Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Cookies
Scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe.
- Whizz until completely smooth.
- Transfer into a glass mixing bowl and add the ground almonds and chocolate chips.
Tip: Place the cookie dough in the fridge for at least 10 minutes for it to firm up slightly.
- Take a heaped tablespoon of the mixture and use your hands to form it into a little patty - don't worry, unlike traditional cookies, these ones won't spread out as they bake.
- Lay it out onto a rectangular baking tray lined with greased baking paper.
- Repeat until the rest of the batter is used up - you should be able to make 12 cookies.
Tip: I shaped the cookie dough mixture into cookies using my hands, but if you find the mixture too gooey to shape with your hands, you can use a cookie scoop instead, and use your hands or the back of a spoon to flatten them slightly.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes - keep an eye on them so you don't overbake them!!
How long do these Chocolate Cookies keep for?
These Chocolate Cookies are great for meal prep as they keep for a good few days without the texture changing, and they're easily transportable.
Substitutions you can make to this recipe:
- The ground almonds can be replaced with ground walnuts, ground hazelnuts or ground sunflower seeds.
- The almond butter can be replaced with peanut butter, cashew butter, sunflower seed butter or tahini.
- For a nut-free option, replace the almond butter with sunflower seed butter or tahini and the ground almonds with ground sunflower seeds.
- For a refined sugar free version, use refined sugar free chocolate chips.
More vegan gluten-free cookies:
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- Blueberry Breakfast Cookies
- Peanut Butter Cookies
- Coconut Flour Cookies
- Pumpkin Cookies
- Oatmeal Cookies
- Sugar Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Carrot Cake Cookies
- Lemon Cookies
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo @rhiansrecipes #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Cookies
- 175 g (1 cup) pitted dates soaked overnight in cold water or in hot water for 10 minutes
- 85 g (⅓ cup) smooth almond butter (or sub cashew or peanut butter)
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Pinch salt
- 120 g (1 cup) ground almonds (almond meal) *
- 90 g (½ cup) dark chocolate chips ** (ensure vegan/gluten-free or necessary)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Drain the soaked dates and place in a blender or food processor with the almond butter, cocoa powder and salt
- Whizz until completely smooth
- Transfer into a bowl, add the ground almonds and mix well
- Carefully mix in the chocolate chips
- Place the cookie dough in the fridge for at least 10 minutes for it to firm up slightly
- Take a heaped tablespoon of the mixture and use your hands to form it into a small, circular, thick patty - don't worry, unlike traditional cookies, these ones won't spread out as they bake ***
- Lay it out onto a baking tray lined with baking paper (no need to grease it)
- Repeat until the rest of the batter is used up - you should be able to make 12 cookies
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes - don’t worry if they’re quite soft when you take them out as they will firm up as they cool down
- Leave to cool completely before storing in an airtight container - keeps in the fridge for a good few days
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you purchase any of these products, a small percentage will come to me with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.