These Gluten-Free Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Cookies are:
- super easy to make
- chewy and fudgy
- seriously indulgent yet secretly healthy!
Imagine the most decadent chocolate cookie you’ve ever eaten. Now, imagine if that same cookie was healthy, and left you feeling great. Sounds too good to be true, right? Not until you’ve made these Gluten-Free Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Cookies!
They’re adaptable to lots of diets, and are:
- refined sugar free
These cookies also super easy to make, requiring just a handful of simple ingredients:
- blended dates for a gooey texture
- ground almonds for chewiness (can be substituted with ground hazelnuts, walnuts or sunflower seeds)
- almond butter for a melt-in-your-mouth richness (can be substituted with peanut or cashew butter)
- cocoa powder for deep chocolate flavour
- a pinch of salt
The combination of ingredients was adapted from my recipe for Gluten-Free Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies.
The chocolate chips (or chunks) take the cookies to whole new level of indulgent, but are totally optional. If you want to keep the cookies refined sugar free, make sure to use a refined sugar free chocolate.
You’ll need to shape the cookies into patties using your hands or use a cookie scoop and then flatten them with your fingertips. Unlike normal cookies made using butter, sugar and eggs, these ones don’t spread out as they bake, so will stay exactly the same shape and size before and after cooking.
These cookies are perfect for dessert, but as they store well for a good few days and are easily transportable, so they make a great snack for packed lunches or an afternoon pick-me-up.
For more delicious gluten-free and vegan cookies, check out my:
- Gingerbread Cookies
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- Peanut Butter Cookies
- Carrot Cake Cookies
- Chocolate Black Bean Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Helpful tools to make these Gluten-Free Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Cookies:
Gluten-Free Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 90 g (1/2 cup) pitted dates soaked overnight in cold water or in hot water for 10 minutes
- 3 tablespoons water
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons smooth almond butter (or sub cashew or peanut butter)
- 60 g (1/2 cup) ground almonds* (almond meal)
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 40 g (1.5oz) dark chocolate** chips or chunks (ensure vegan/gluten-free or necessary)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Drain the soaked dates and place in a blender or food processor (you can also use a hand-held stick blender) along with the water and salt
- Whizz until completely smooth, then add the almond butter, ground almonds and cocoa powder, and mix well
- Carefully mix in the chocolate chips
- Take a heaped tablespoon of the mixture and use your hands to form it into a small, circular, thick patty***
- Lay it out onto a baking tray lined with baking paper (no need to grease it)
- Repeat until the rest of the batter is used up - you should be able to make 12 cookies
- Bake in the oven for around 12 minutes - don’t worry if they’re quite soft when you take them out as they will firm up as they cool down
- Leave to cool completely before storing in an airtight container - keeps in the fridge for a good few days
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you click through and purchase any of the products, a small percentage will come to me, with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.