These Vegan Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies are:
- crispy on the outside
- soft and chewy on the inside
- sweet and buttery!
Not only are these cookies undetectably vegan and gluten-free, but they’re also:
- made with 5 ingredients
- refined sugar free optional
..and so they’re much healthier than your traditional fat- and sugar-laden chocolate chip cookies!
I’m really pleased these cookies worked out, because after a load of failed attempts that turned out too dry, crumbly and not quite there in flavour, I had resigned myself to never being able to eat a decent Chocolate Chip Cookie ever again. 🙁
But, after making my Peanut Butter Cookies, I knew I’d be able to adapt the recipe to make some seriously delicious Vegan Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies.
These cookies are also awesome as they’re made using just a handful (5 to be exact) of simple, wholesome ingredients:
- puréed dates – act as a binder, add sweetness and a caramel-like flavour reminiscent of brown sugar
- ground almonds (almond meal) – act as a flour substitute in these flourless cookies, creating a crispy exterior and chewy interior
- almond butter – adds richness and a buttery flavour
- dark chocolate chips – pretty self-explanatory
- a pinch of salt – to offset the sweetness of the dates and chocolate
The ingredient list is pretty versatile too, with lots of substitution options:
- ground almonds – can be substituted with ground walnuts, ground hazelnuts or ground sunflower seeds
- almond butter – can be substituted with peanut or cashew butter
- chocolate chips – use refined sugar free chocolate chips for a refined sugar free/paleo option
Other delicious add-ins include chopped nuts such as earthy walnuts, buttery pecan nuts, or fragrant desiccated coconut.
I shaped the cookie dough mixture into cookies using my hands, but if you find the mixture too gooey to shape with your hands, you can use a cookie scoop instead, and use your hands or the back of a spoon to flatten them slightly.
What I love most about making cookies is that they’re perfect for hungry and impatient bakers like myself, as they require so little time in the oven!
All these Chocolate Chip Cookies will need to acquire a pleasant golden brown hue and take on an irresistible aroma is a short 10-12 minutes in the oven.
These cookies are great for meal prep as they keep for a good few days without the texture changing, and they’re easily transportable. They’re great for dessert, but also work as a healthier afternoon snack.
For more vegan gluten-free cookies, check out my:
- Gingerbread Cookies
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- Peanut Butter Cookies
- Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Carrot Cake Cookies
- Chocolate Black Bean Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Helpful tools to make these Vegan Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies:
Vegan Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Drain the soaked dates and place in a blender or food processor (you can also use a hand-held stick blender)
- Whizz until completely smooth, then add the salt, almond butter and ground almonds, and mix well
- Carefully mix in the chocolate chips
- Take a heaped tablespoon of the mixture and use your hands to form it into a small, circular, thick patty***
- Lay it out onto a baking tray lined with baking paper (no need to grease it)
- Repeat until the rest of the batter is used up - you should be able to make 12 cookies
- Bake in the oven for around 10-12 minutes, until golden brown - don’t worry if they’re quite soft when you take them out as they will firm up as they cool down
- Leave to cool completely before storing in an airtight container - keeps in the fridge for a good few days