This Vegan Rice Pudding is rich and creamy, perfectly sweet and subtly spiced. It's the best easy, comforting dessert that can be enjoyed hot or cold! It's gluten-free, refined sugar free, easily customisable and healthy enough for breakfast!
Yes. To make this Rice Pudding on the hob (stovetop):
1. Place all the ingredients in a large pan (with a lid) and mix well.
2. Bring to the boil and keeping a lid on it, cook on a low heat, stirring regularly, for around 30 minutes until rice is cooked.
How to make this recipe
Scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe.
- Place the rice, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, cashew milk and coconut milk in a large baking dish (I used one measuring 26 cm (10 inch) by 18 cm (7 inch) and 7 cm (2 ½ inch) tall).
Tip: Use a measuring jug to measure out the milk.
- Mix well.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour, until the rice is cooked and the top starts to brown slightly.
How long does this Rice Pudding keep for?
This can be enjoyed immediately if you want to eat it hot, but it's also delicious cold. It keeps in the fridge for up to a few days.
Substitutions you can make
- You can use pudding rice or Japanese sushi rice.
- You can use any type of sweetener: maple syrup, agave syrup, brown rice syrup etc.
- You can replace the cashew milk with almond milk, oat milk or rice milk.
- You can replace the cinnamon with nutmeg or cardamom.
- You can add dried fruit such as raisins, dried cranberries, chopped dates, dried mango, dried pineapple or dried papaya.
- You can add desiccated coconut!
This Rice Pudding will be quite liquidy/runny when you take it it out the oven. It will thicken up quite a bit as it cools down and is very thick when cold, especially after it's been left in the fridge overnight. However, if you prefer it to be thick as soon as you take it out of the oven, I would suggest using less plant-based milk than the recipe calls for!
More vegan desserts
- Chocolate Pudding Pots
- Strawberry Trifle
- Peanut Butter Pie
- Blueberry Crisp
- Sliced Baked Apples
- Lemon Bars
- Key Lime Pie
- Blueberry Cheesecake
- Strawberry Shortcake
- Apple Crumb Cake
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo @rhiansrecipes #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Watch how to make it
Vegan Rice Pudding (Gluten-Free)
- 75 g (⅓ cup) uncooked pudding rice (or sub Japanese sushi rice)
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup (or sub any other sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (or sub a pinch of ground nutmeg)
- 600 ml (2 ½ cup) unsweetened cashew milk (or sub unsweetened almond milk or oat milk)
- 400 g (14 oz) tin of coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Place all the ingredients in a large baking dish (I used one measuring 26 cm (10 inch) by 18 cm (7 inch) and 7 cm (2 ½ inch) tall).
- Mix well.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour, until rice is cooked and the top starts to brown slightly.
- Can be enjoyed immediately if you want to eat it hot, but it's also delicious cold.
- Keeps in the fridge for up to a few days.
- Place all the ingredients in a large pan (with a lid) and mix well.
- Bring to the boil and keeping a lid on it, cook on a low heat, stirring regularly, for around 30 minutes until rice is cooked.
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you purchase any of these products, a small percentage will come to me with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.