This Vegan Queso is what Mexican fiesta dreams are made of! It’s seriously flavourful, rich and creamy and much healthier than the traditional version!
I was keen to make a Vegan Queso recipe, and when brainstorming what ingredients to use, I immediately thought of white beans. I love using white beans in vegan cooking as they’re inexpensive, versatile and healthy.
I love the naturally creamy texture and neutral flavour of white beans, and their versatility has allowed me to use them for a number of recipes including:
- White Bean Mac and Cheese
- Pumpkin Soup
- Stretchy Melty Grilled Cheese
- White Bean Tuna Salad Sandwich
- White Bean Scramble
White beans work especially well for this Vegan Queso as cashews can be quite expensive, and potato-based cheese sauces can be quite starchy.
Why you’ll love this Vegan Queso:
- it’s rich and creamy
- it’s “cheesy”
- it’s subtly spiced
- it’s full of flavour
- it’s easy to make
- it’s healthy and nutritious
- it’s a source of protein and fibre
- it’s nut-free optional
- it’s gluten-free
- it’s soy-free
- it’s perfect for sharing!
How to make this Vegan Queso
Scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe.
- Fry the onion, garlic and green pepper for around 10 minutes until softened.
- Add the cumin, paprika and chilli, and fry for a minute until fragrant.
- Add the white beans, tomato purée, almond milk, nutritional yeast, vinegar, miso and salt + pepper.
Tip: Use a measuring jug to measure out the almond milk.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Whizz until completely smooth.
How to serve this Vegan Queso
Substitutions you can make to this recipe:
- you can use any type of white beans: cannellini, haricot or butter beans
- you can substitute the almond milk with cashew milk
- for a nut-free version, substitute the almond milk with oat milk.
More vegan cheese recipes:
- Vegan Brie Cheese
- Vegan Stretchy Melty Cheese Nachos
- Vegan Cashew Cheese Ball
- Vegan Stretchy Melty Cheesy Fries
- Vegan Stretchy Melty Cheese Quesadillas
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo @rhiansrecipes #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Vegan Queso (GF)
- 1 tablespoon oil (coconut, vegetable, rapeseed or olive)
- 1 onion , sliced
- 2 garlic cloves , roughly chopped
- 1 green pepper , cored and sliced (or sub one deseeded jalapeño)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon (1/4 teaspoon) sweet or smoked paprika
- Pinch cayenne chilli pepper , to taste
- 400 g (14 oz) tin of white beans , drained and rinsed (cannellini, haricot or butter beans)
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) unsweetened almond milk (or sub unsweetened oat milk for nut-free)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 heaped teaspoon miso (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- Salt + pepper to taste
To serve (suggestions):
- Fresh coriander (cilantro) , roughly chopped
- Tortilla chips (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- Vegetable crudités
- Heat up oil in a pan and add onion, garlic and green pepper once hot
- Cook for around 10 minutes until softened
- Add the cumin, paprika and chilli, and fry for a minute until fragrant
- Add the white beans, tomato purée, almond milk, nutritional yeast, vinegar, miso and salt + pepper
- Bring to the boil and simmer for a couple of minutes
- Using a blender or food processor (or hand-held blender), whizz until completely smooth - add more milk or water to thin out if necessary
- Serve into a bowl and scatter over fresh coriander and serve alongside tortilla chips and vegetable crudités, if desired
- Best enjoyed immediately
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you click through and purchase any of the products, a small percentage will come to me, with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.