This Vegan Queso is what Mexican fiesta dreams are made of! It’s seriously flavourful, rich and creamy and much healthier than the traditional version!
I was keen to make a Vegan Queso recipe, and when brainstorming what ingredients to use, I immediately thought of white beans. I love using white beans in vegan cooking as they’re inexpensive, versatile and healthy.
I love the naturally creamy texture and neutral flavour of white beans, and their versatility has allowed me to use them for a number of recipes including:
- White Bean Mac and Cheese
- Pumpkin Soup
- Stretchy Melty Grilled Cheese
- White Bean Tuna Salad Sandwich
- White Bean Scramble
White beans work especially well for this Vegan Queso as cashews can be quite expensive, and potato-based cheese sauces can be quite starchy.
Why you’ll love this Vegan Queso:
- it’s rich and creamy
- it’s “cheesy”
- it’s subtly spiced
- it’s full of flavour
- it’s easy to make
- it’s healthy and nutritious
- it’s a source of protein and fibre
- it’s nut-free optional
- it’s gluten-free
- it’s soy-free
- it’s perfect for sharing!
How to make this Vegan Queso
Scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe.
Fry the onion, garlic and green pepper for around 10 minutes until softened.
- Add the cumin, paprika and chilli, and fry for a minute until fragrant.
Add the white beans, tomato purée, almond milk, nutritional yeast, vinegar, miso and salt + pepper.
Tip: Use a measuring jug to measure out the almond milk.
Bring to the boil and simmer for a couple of minutes.
Whizz until completely smooth.
How to serve this Vegan Queso
Substitutions you can make to this recipe:
- you can use any type of white beans: cannellini, haricot or butter beans
- you can substitute the almond milk with cashew milk
- for a nut-free version, substitute the almond milk with oat milk.
More vegan cheese recipes:
- Vegan Brie Cheese
- Vegan Stretchy Melty Cheese Nachos
- Vegan Cashew Cheese Ball
- Vegan Stretchy Melty Cheesy Fries
- Vegan Stretchy Melty Cheese Quesadillas
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo @rhiansrecipes #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Vegan Queso (GF)
- 1 tablespoon oil (coconut, vegetable, rapeseed or olive)
- 1 onion , sliced
- 2 garlic cloves , roughly chopped
- 1 green pepper , cored and sliced (or sub one deseeded jalapeño)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet or smoked paprika
- Pinch cayenne chilli pepper , to taste
- 400 g tin of white beans , drained and rinsed (cannellini, haricot or butter beans)
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 120 ml unsweetened almond milk (or sub unsweetened oat milk for nut-free)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 heaped teaspoon miso (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- Salt + pepper to taste
To serve (suggestions):
- Fresh coriander (cilantro) , roughly chopped
- Tortilla chips (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- Vegetable crudités
- Heat up oil in a pan and add onion, garlic and green pepper once hot
- Cook for around 10 minutes until softened
- Add the cumin, paprika and chilli, and fry for a minute until fragrant
- Add the white beans, tomato purée, almond milk, nutritional yeast, vinegar, miso and salt + pepper
- Bring to the boil and simmer for a couple of minutes
- Using a blender or food processor (or hand-held blender), whizz until completely smooth - add more milk or water to thin out if necessary
- Serve into a bowl and scatter over fresh coriander and serve alongside tortilla chips and vegetable crudités, if desired
- Best enjoyed immediately
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you click through and purchase any of the products, a small percentage will come to me, with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.