This 2-ingredient Vegan Adzuki Milkshake is the perfect treat for hot summer days. It’s indulgently creamy, super simple to make and surprisingly healthy!
I was inspired to make a Vegan Adzuki Milkshake after visiting the wonderful newly-opened Japanese café Tsujiri in London. I really wanted to try the Adzuki Ice Blend they had on the menu (in case you haven’t noticed, I love adzuki beans and have used them to make everything from Brownies to Anmitsu).
But when I asked if it was dairy-free I was told it contained condensed milk, so unfortunately I couldn’t have it because of my lactose intolerance. I went for the Matcha Ice Blend instead, which was delicious and refreshing.
I was still thinking about the adzuki ice blend, though, and so I decided to recreate it at home! My version here is vegan and can be entirely naturally sweetened if you like, so it’s healthier than the version that inspired it too!
Adzuki beans, which are used in a lot of traditional Japanese desserts, actually contain lots of health benefits – they’re full of protein and fibre and have recently started being hailed as a superfood. You can buy tinned or dried adzuki beans in most supermarkets.
I’ve come up with two ways to make this Vegan Adzuki Milkshake – you can either freeze adzuki beans and then blend them up with your milk of choice and sweeten according to your taste (this is the super healthy option) or blend them straight from the tin with your vanilla ice cream of choice (this is the slightly more indulgent but still relatively healthy option).
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love for you to take a photo and tag it #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! It would really make my day to see what you come up with!
- 100g tinned adzuki beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 scoops vanilla ice cream (dairy-free/vegan if necessary)
- Splash of milk, any kind
- 100g tinned adzuki beans, drained, rinsed and frozen
- 200ml milk, any kind
- 2 tablespoons sweetener of choice, to taste (I like to use date syrup)
- To serve: extra scoop of vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Pick which option you're going for
- Add all ingredients (for whichever option you decide upon) to a blender and whizz until smooth
- Add more milk if you prefer a thinner texture, and sweeten according to you taste
- Pour into glasses and add an extra scoop of ice cream on top if you wish
- Enjoy immediately!