This Yellow Turmeric Rice is a beautifully festive-coloured side dish that’s sure to visually transform any dinner table!
It’s super quick and easy to make, looks impressive and is super delicious. It’s also really healthy, and caters for a wide range of dietary requirements too, because it’s vegan and gluten-free.
All you need to do is heat up some coconut oil (which adds a rich flavour) and fry up some onions. Then just add a little turmeric, which adds a vibrant yellow colour, subtly spiced flavour, as well as multiple health benefits. Dried cranberries add sweetness, whilst lemon peel adds a lovely fresh and fragrant aroma. Green peas add extra colour, as well as all-important protein and fibre.
I absolutely love the combination of different flavours and textures – the fluffy, subtly spiced Basmati rice pairs beautifully with the sweet, juicy cranberries, fresh, fragrant lemon peel, and the nutty crunch of flaked almonds.
This rice is perfect to make after Christmas, as it goes really well with leftovers. If you’d like to turn it into a full meal rather than a side dish, you could add chickpeas, and other vegetables such as carrots or peppers.
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love for you to take a photo and tag it #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! It would really make my day to see what you come up with!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 250g Basmati rice
- Peel of 1 unwaxed lemon (cut large enough to take out, or alternatively use the grated zest of 1 lemon)
- Handful of dried cranberries
- Handful of frozen green peas
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- Few tablespoons of flaked almonds
- Bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Heat coconut oil in a saucepan until hot
- Add onions and fry for around 5 minutes, until softened
- Add turmeric and fry for about a minute, until fragrant
- Add the rice and fry for a couple of minutes
- Add 500ml water, the stock cube, dried cranberries, frozen peas and salt and pepper
- Stir well until the stock cube has completely dissolved
- Bring to the boil, place a lid over it and cook for 12 minutes
- Turn off the heat and leave with the lid on for a further 5 minutes
- Transfer to serving plates and scatter over flaked almonds