I first tried a hot black sesame drink at a Chinese restaurant in the form of bubble tea. It was so delicious I started experimenting at home to recreate the flavour.
As the colder months approach, it’s a great alternative to tea/coffee/hot chocolate as it’s rich and comforting without being too sweet or creamy and a fab option if you don’t want to drink too much caffeine but you’re tired of herbal tea. It’s also vegan, gluten-free and free from refined sugar.
You can either buy black sesame seeds and crush them yourself using a pestle and mortar or a spice grinder, or buy them ready-crushed. If you’re based in the UK, you can buy crushed black sesame seeds online from the Japan Centre.
Cornflour is a key ingredient in this Hot Black Sesame drink, as it makes it really thick and therefore richer and more comforting. Make sure to stir in the cornflour at the beginning before turning on the heat, otherwise it will get clumpy and will make your drink unpleasant!
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love for you to take a photo and tag it #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! It would really make my day to see what you come up with!
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds (ready crushed is easier, but not essential)
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons sweetener of choice, to taste
- 1 cup water
- Whizz the toasted seeds in a blender until they turn into a fine powder (skip this step if using already crushed sesame seeds)
- Place all ingredients in a saucepan and mix well before turning on heat (otherwise the cornflour will become clumpy)
- Simmer on a low heat and keep stirring until thick
- Pour into a mug and enjoy immediately!