I first tried a hot black sesame drink at a Chinese restaurant in the form of bubble tea. It was so delicious I started experimenting at home to recreate the flavour.
As the colder months approach, it's a great alternative to tea, coffee or hot chocolate, as it's warm and comforting without being too sweet or creamy and is a fab option if you don't want to drink too much caffeine but you're tired of herbal tea. It's also vegan, gluten-free and free from refined sugar.
You can either buy black sesame seeds and crush them yourself using a pestle and mortar or a spice grinder, or buy them ready-crushed. You can generally buy crushed black sesame seeds from Asian supermarkets.
Cornflour is a key ingredient in this Hot Black Sesame drink, as it acts as a thickening agent. Make sure to stir in the cornflour at the beginning before turning on the heat, otherwise it will get clumpy and will make your drink unpleasant!
Love sesame as much as I do? Check out my:
For more drinks:
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Hot Black Sesame Drink (Vegan + GF)
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup to taste (or sub any other sweetener)
- 1 cup water
- Whizz the black sesame seeds in a blender or spice crusher until they turn into a fine powder - you could also use a pestle and mortar (skip this step if using already crushed sesame seeds)
- Place all ingredients in a saucepan and mix well before turning on heat (otherwise the cornflour will become clumpy)
- Simmer on a low heat and keep stirring until thick
- Pour into a mug and enjoy immediately!
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you purchase any of these products, a small percentage will come to me with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.
Hey this recipe is great just wondering if one could add liquor to it instead of maple syrup?
Yes I'm sure that would work. Thank you!
Hi nice drink.iam on diet. How many calories this drink?
Thank you so much!