This Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup is rich and creamy, nutritious and so comforting!
I’d been thinking for a while about how I could make a “cheesy” soup, but couldn’t work out how to get a nice yellow colour without adding turmeric or a whole tub of nutritional yeast, both of which would affect the taste. Then I thought about using carrots! Blended up with the white beans and plant-based milk, the orange colour from the carrots becomes a beautiful gold.
Why you’ll love this Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup:
- it’s thick and velvety
- it’s “cheesy”
- it’s filling and satisfying
- it’s a good source of protein and fibre
- it’s packed with veggies
- it’s easy to make
- it’s nut-free optional
- it’s gluten-free
- it’s ready in 30 minutes!
How to make this Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
Scroll to the bottom of the post for the full recipe.
Fry the onion, garlic, celery and carrots.
- Add the white beans, stock cube, nutritional yeast, almond milk, salt + pepper and water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for a few minutes.
- Transfer to a blender or food processor (a hand-held stick blender also works).
- Blend until it becomes a smooth liquid.
Tip: Add some more water if it’s too thick at this stage.
- Transfer the soup back to the saucepan and add the broccoli.
- Cook for a further few minutes until the broccoli is softened but still retains a little bite (but you can cook it for longer until it’s completely soft if you prefer).
How long does this Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup keep for?
This Broccoli Cheese Soup is best enjoyed immediately – leftovers do keep covered in the fridge for a few days and can be frozen, but the broccoli can get soggy when reheated.
Substitutions you can make to this recipe:
- you can substitute the almond milk with cashew milk
- for a nut-free version, you can use oat milk instead of almond milk
- other plant-based milks such as soy milk or rice milk can be used, but they will affect the taste.
More vegan soup recipes:
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo @rhiansrecipes #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup (GF)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or sub olive oil, vegetable oil or rapeseed oil)
- 1 onion , sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic , minced
- 2 sticks of celery , sliced
- 2 carrots , peeled and sliced
- 400 g (14 oz) tin of white beans , drained and rinsed (cannellini, haricot or butter beans)
- 1 vegetable stock cube (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 250 ml (1 cup) unsweetened almond milk (or sub unsweetened cashew milk, or unsweetened oat milk for a nut-free version)
- Salt + pepper to taste
- 175 g (1 cup) broccoli florets , chopped into small pieces
To serve (optional):
- Fresh parsley , roughly chopped
- Heat up the oil in a large pan and add the onion, garlic, celery and carrots once hot
- Fry for 10 minutes until softened
- Once the onions etc have softened, add the beans, stock cube, nutritional yeast, almond milk and salt + pepper to the pan, along with 350 ml (1 1/2 cups) water
- Bring to the boil and simmer for a few minutes
- Turn off the heat and use a blender or food processor (a hand-held blender also works) to blend until it becomes a smooth liquid (add some more water if it’s too thick at this stage)
- Transfer the soup back to the saucepan then add the broccoli
- Cook for a further few minutes until broccoli is softened but still retains a little bite (but you can cook it for longer until it’s completely soft if you prefer)
- Taste and add more salt if necessary
- Serve into bowls and top with fresh parsley, if desired
- Best enjoyed immediately - leftovers do keep covered in the fridge and can be frozen, but the broccoli can get quite soggy when reheated
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you click through and purchase any of the products, a small percentage will come to me, with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.