This Vegan Cream of Asparagus Soup is:
- rich and velvety
- easy to make
- super nutritious!
With spring just around the corner, I wanted to come up with some recipes using new, seasonal produce, but which would still be warming enough to see us through the remainder of the cold weather.
I love this Vegan Cream of Asparagus soup as it tastes bright, fresh and slightly earthy thanks to the asparagus, but is also seriously comforting thanks to the luxuriously creamy texture.
The soup starts off by frying together a mixture of onion, garlic, celery and carrot, which gives off the most amazing fragrance. A splash of white wine makes it even more aromatic and adds just a touch of sweetness – make sure you cook it all off to get rid of any acidity and alcoholic taste. If you’d rather not use alcohol, this step can be omitted.
Next, you add your asparagus, which gives the soup a delicate flavour and beautiful pastel-green hue.
The creaminess in this soup comes from a mixture of unsweetened almond milk and white beans. If you’d prefer to keep the soup nut-free, you could substitute the almond milk with unsweetened oat milk.
I love using white beans to create creamy soups and sauces because they become super creamy and add an almost buttery texture. They’re also very nutritious, and are a good source of both protein and fibre.
This soup is perfect for batch cooking as it’s easy to cook in big quantities – it keeps in the fridge for a few days, and freezes well too.
I hope you’ll love this elegant Vegan Cream of Asparagus Soup! For more soup recipes, check out my:
- Pumpkin Curry Soup
- Creamy Pumpkin Gnocchi Soup
- Thai Green Curry Rice Soup
- Pea Pasta Minestrone Soup
- Vegan Clam Chowder
- Pea Zucchini Mint Soup
- Miso Brown Rice Soup
- Miso Pumpkin Soup
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Sweet Potato Peanut Soup
- Creamy Corn Chowder
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
This Vegan Cream of Asparagus Soup is, rich and velvety, easy to make, super nutritious!
- 1 tablespoon oil (coconut, vegetable, rapeseed or olive)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 1 celery stick, sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) white wine (ensure vegan if necessary)
- 300 g (10.5oz) bunch of asparagus, ends trimmed and roughly chopped
- 200 ml (4/5 cup) unsweetened almond milk (or sub unsweetened oat milk for a nut-free version)
- 400 g (14oz) tin of white beans, drained and rinsed (cannellini, haricot or butter beans)
- 1 vegetable stock cube (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Heat up the oil in a large saucepan and add the onion, garlic, celery and carrot once hot
- Fry for around 10 minutes until softened
- Add the white wine and fry for a further few minutes until disappeared
- Add the asparagus, almond milk, white beans, stock cube and salt + pepper, along with 500ml (2 cups) water
- Bring to the boil and simmer on a low heat for around 10 minutes
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender (or use a hand-held stick blender) to whizz until completely smooth - add more water to thin out if necessary
- Taste and add more salt if necessary
- Serve into bowls and scatter over chopped parsley, if desired
- Leftovers keep covered in the fridge for up to a few days and also freeze well