This Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole is rich and creamy, subtly spiced and topped with crunchy oats and pecans. The best savoury-sweet side dish!
Why you’ll love this Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole:
- it’s rich and “buttery”
- it’s super creamy
- it’s perfectly spiced
- it’s covered with toasty pecans
- it has a crispy topping
- it’s much healthier than the traditional version
- it’s gluten-free and refined sugar free
- it’s a great side dish for Thanksgiving or Christmas!
How to make this Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole:
Scroll to the bottom of the post for the full recipe.
Cook the sweet potatoes for 15 minutes until soft enough to gently pierce with a fork.
Drain away the water and add the coconut oil, salt, cinnamon and maple syrup.
- Use a fork or potato masher to mash the sweet potatoes.
- Place all the ingredients for the topping in a glass mixing bowl.
- Mix well.
- Place the mashed sweet potatoes in a baking dish – I used a 20.5 cm/8 inch pie dish.
Sprinkle the topping over the mashed sweet potatoes in the baking dish.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until top is crispy and golden brown.
How long does this Sweet Potato Casserole keep for?
Substitutions you can make to this recipe:
- You can use any type of sweetener: maple syrup, agave syrup, date syrup, brown rice syrup etc.
- You can substitute the pecan nuts with walnuts.
- You can substitute the sweet potatoes with white sweet potatoes, purple sweet potatoes, butternut squash or pumpkin.
Tip: If using white or purple sweet potatoes, add a splash of plant-based milk to make sure it doesn’t get too dry as these don’t contain as much moisture.
More festive side dishes:
- Scalloped Sweet Potato Gratin
- Cauliflower Cheese Gratin
- Green Bean Casserole
- Sugar Free Cranberry Sauce
- Pumpkin Quinoa Salad
- Potato Dauphinoise Gratin
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo @rhiansrecipes #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole (Gluten-Free)
For the sweet potato:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
For the sweet potato:
- Place the sliced sweet potatoes in a pan and roughly cover with water
- Bring to the boil, turn down the heat and cook for around 15 minutes until soft enough to gently piece with a fork
- Drain away the water and add the coconut oil, salt, cinnamon and maple syrup to the cooked sweet potatoes
- Use a potato masher or a fork to mash the sweet potatoes
For the topping:
- Mix together all the ingredients in a bowl
- Place the mashed sweet potatoes in a baking dish - I used a 20.5 cm/8 inch pie dish
- Sprinkle the topping over the mashed sweet potatoes in the baking dish
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until top is crispy and golden brown
- Best when fresh but leftovers keep covered in the fridge for a few days - best reheated in the oven
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you click through and purchase any of these products, a small percentage will come to me, with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.