I’ve been seeing red wine hot chocolate recipes all over the Internet recently, so I decided to make my own Vegan Red Wine Hot Chocolate!
It does seem like a slightly strange combination, but after taste testing-various attempts I came to the following conclusion:
- Make sure you make the hot chocolate with real dark chocolate, not hot chocolate powder.
- Make sure you make a really thick hot chocolate (by using dark chocolate and cornflour to thicken), otherwise when it gets watered down with the red wine, it’ll be super watery.
- Don’t add too much red wine, or else you won’t be able to taste the chocolate at all and you’ll just be drinking milky red wine, which nobody wants. Obviously.
I was a little sceptical as to how it would taste, but it was surprisingly really nice! It tasted like hot chocolate but with a slightly boozy kick, and the fruity aroma of the red wine perfectly compliments the rich, earthy flavour of the dark chocolate.
I’d recommend using almond or cashew milk, for creaminess and to create an undetectably dairy-free hot chocolate. If you’re unsure about how vegan-friendly your red wine is, I’ve heard there’s a site called barnivore.com that you can use to easily check this!
This drink is perfect for Christmas gatherings – it’s warming and comforting and tastes really festive!
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d love for you to take a photo and tag it #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! It would really make my day to see what you come up with!
- 20g dark chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (or any other sweetener), to taste
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 170ml any kind of milk (I recommend unsweetened almond or cashew milk)
- 30ml red wine
- Place dark chocolate, cocoa powder, maple syrup, cornflour and milk in a saucepan and mix well – it’s important that it’s mixed together before hearing so that the cornflour is distributed evenly. Otherwise there will be clumps, and tears
- Cook on a low heat, stirring regularly, until steaming hot and nicely thickened
- Pour into a cup and top with the red wine
- Top with coconut whipped cream if desired
- Enjoy immediately!