I’ve been lusting over all the red wine hot chocolate recipes that I’ve been seeing all over the Internet recently, so I decided to make my own Vegan Red Wine Hot Chocolate!
It does seem like a slightly strange combination, but after taste testing-various attempts I came to the following conclusion:
- Make sure you make the hot chocolate with real dark chocolate, not hot chocolate powder.
- Make sure you make a really thick hot chocolate (by using dark chocolate and cornflour to thicken), otherwise when it gets watered down with the red wine, it’ll be super watery.
- Don’t add too much red wine, or else you won’t be able to taste the chocolate at all and you’ll just be drinking milky red wine, which nobody wants. Obviously.
I was a little sceptical as to how it would taste, but it was surprisingly really nice!
It tasted like hot chocolate but with a slightly boozy kick, and the fruity aroma of the red wine perfectly compliments the rich, earthy flavour of the dark chocolate.
I’d recommend using almond or cashew milk, as these seem to work best to create a seriously creamy, undetectably dairy-free hot chocolate.
If you’re unsure about how vegan-friendly your red wine is, I’ve heard there’s a site called barnivore.com that you can use to easily check this!
This drink is perfect for Christmas gatherings – it’s warming and comforting and tastes really festive!
For more delicious hot drinks, check out my:
- Black Sesame Latte
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- Kinako Latte
- Gingerbread Chai Latte
- Orange Hot Chocolate
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
This Vegan Red Wine Hot Chocolate is perfect for Christmas gatherings - it's warming and comforting and tastes really festive!
- 30 g (1oz) dark chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, to taste (or sub any other sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 190 ml (4/5th) any kind of milk I recommend unsweetened almond or cashew milk
- 30 ml (1/10th cup) red wine (ensure vegan-friendly if necessary)
Place dark chocolate, cocoa powder, maple syrup, cornflour and milk in a saucepan and mix well – it’s important that it’s mixed together before hearing so that the cornflour is distributed evenly. Otherwise there will be clumps, and tears
Cook on a low heat, stirring regularly, until steaming hot and nicely thickened
Pour into a cup and top with the red wine
Top with coconut whipped cream if desired
Thanks for reading! If you’d like to receive a FREE COPY of my ebook of the 10 most popular recipes on my blog, you can sign up here.