These Vegan Tofu Vegetable Fajitas are hearty and satisfying and spicy and fragrant! They're the best easy plant-based dinner for Mexican night!
Why you'll love these Vegan Tofu Vegetable Fajitas:
Fajitas may be a go-to easy yet flavourful dinner, but I've always been a bit wary of vegetarian fajitas, because:
- only peppers = definitely not filling enough, especially not for dinner
- mushrooms = slightly more filling, but it's still just another vegetable
- soy protein/quorn = too processed and don't love the taste
But, tofu fajitas? Now that's something I can get on board with! Tofu is filling, healthy, and has a neutral taste, so is great for taking on big flavours!
How to make these Vegan Tofu Vegetable Fajitas
Scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe.
First we start by marinating the tofu in a DIY fajita spice mix:
- earthy cumin
- smoky paprika
- fragrant oregano
- spicy cayenne
- zesty lime
Then all you need to do is fry some onions, garlic, peppers and coriander (cilantro), and add the tofu once that's done!
How to serve these Vegan Tofu Vegetable Fajitas
These fajitas taste good served with cooked brown or white rice, but I prefer tortillas - you can load them up with whatever you like. I recommend:
- mango salsa
- avocado or guacamole
- vegan sour cream or garlic herb dip
More vegan Mexican recipes:
- Stretchy Melty Cheese Nachos
- Mexican Tofu Scramble
- Vegan White Bean Queso
- Stretchy Melty Cheese Quesadillas
- Easy Cheat Horchata
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo @rhiansrecipes #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Vegan Tofu Vegetable Fajitas (GF)
For the tofu:
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked or sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch cayenne chilli pepper to taste
- Salt + pepper to taste
- 400 g (14 oz) firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon oil (vegetable, rapeseed, olive or coconut)
- 1 onion , finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 red pepper , cored and sliced
- 1 green pepper , cored and sliced
- Handful fresh coriander (cilantro) , roughly chopped
- Tortillas (gluten-free if necessary)
- Mango salsa
- Vegan sour cream *
For the tofu:
- Place the lime juice, cumin, paprika, oregano, cayenne and salt + pepper in a large bowl and mix well
- Drain and rinse the tofu, then pat dry with a paper towel
- Cut into small rectangular cubes
- Add to the bowl with the seasonings and mix well, ensuring every piece is evenly covered
- Leave to marinate while you prepare the rest of the ingredients, or cover and keep in the fridge for up to 24 hours
For the fajitas:
- Heat up the oil in a frying pan and add the onion and garlic once hot
- Fry for around 10 minutes until softened
- Add the red pepper, green pepper and coriander, as well as the marinated tofu
- Fry for another 5 minutes until cooked through - I like to keep the peppers on the crunchy side, but if you prefer them to be softer you should cook for a little longer
- Keeps well covered in the fridge for up to a couple of days - reheat in a dry frying pan (store fajitas and tortillas separately)
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you purchase any of these products, a small percentage will come to me with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.
Easy and delicious recipe, thanks so much! The lime makes it so much better 🙂
I agree! Thank you so much!
Thank you so much!