These Vegan Tofu Fish Tacos are:
- super crispy
- full of flavour
- packed with veggies!
These Vegan Tofu Fish Tacos start off in a similar way to my Tofu Fajitas – by marinating the tofu in a kaleidoscopic mixture of spices:
- warming cumin
- smoky paprika
- earthy oregano
- fiery cayenne
- aromatic lime
You should then leave the tofu to marinate for at least 10 minutes, but you can cover it and leave it in the fridge for up to a day. To take these Vegan Fish Tacos to the next level, I definitely recommend coating the tofu in cornflour (cornstarch).
Coating it in cornflour not only means it’s naturally gluten-free, but also makes it much crispier than when using normal flour. Instead of deep-frying or shallow-frying (which still requires quite a bit of oil), this tofu can be pan-fried in just a small amount of oil.
This means you’ll still get an irresistibly golden brown, crispy exterior and a tender, juicy interior, but it’s still relatively healthy and won’t leave you feeling terrible afterwards!
For more vegan Mexican recipes, check out my:
- Stretchy Melty Cheese Nachos
- Mexican Tofu Scramble
- Vegan White Bean Queso
- Tofu Fajitas
- Stretchy Melty Cheese Quesadillas
- Easy Cheat Horchata
If you try out this recipe or anything else from my blog, I’d really love to hear any feedback! Please give it a rating, leave a comment, or tag a photo #rhiansrecipes on Instagram! Thank you.
Helpful tools to make these Vegan Tofu Fish Tacos:
These Vegan Tofu Fish Tacos are super crispy, full of flavour and packed with veggies!
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked or sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch cayenne chilli pepper, to taste
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- 400 g (14oz) firm tofu
- 6 tablespoons cornflour (cornstarch)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or rapeseed oil
- Place the lime juice, cumin, paprika, oregano, cayenne and salt + pepper in a large bowl and mix well
- Drain and rinse the tofu, then pat dry with a paper towel
- Cut into small rectangular cubes
- Add to the bowl with the seasonings and mix well, ensuring every piece is evenly covered
- Leave to marinate for at least 10 minutes, or cover and keep in the fridge for up to 24 hours
Place the cornflour in a large bowl, take a cube of tofu, coat it in the flour and place on a plate
Repeat for the rest of the tofu, adding extra cornflour if necessary
Heat up the oil in a frying pan until hot
- Once the oil is hot, keep it on a medium heat and add the cornflour-coated tofu
Fry for a few minutes on each side, turning over halfway through (it's easiest to do this using chopsticks). Cook it until it’s crispy and lightly browned, but be careful not to overcook, otherwise it’ll become tough
Transfer the cooked tofu onto a plate lined with kitchen paper (to drain away the excess oil)
- Keeps well covered in the fridge for up to a couple of days - reheat in a dry frying pan (store the filling and tortillas separately)
Serve the tofu with tortillas stuffed with desired ingredients and drizzle over vegan mayonnaise, if desired
*Or garlic herb dip
Disclosure: This posts contains affiliate links to Amazon. If you click through and purchase any of the products, a small percentage will come to me, with no extra cost to you! This income will go towards the running of this blog – thank you.